Author Topic: best base sauce... ever  (Read 9013 times)

Offline dave3310

• Chef
    • View Profile
best base sauce... ever
« on: May 24, 2006, 08:42 PM »
Here's a base sauce that I use over and over again cause it never fails me.... Try it and let me know what you reckon....

Here we have a top base sauce that is perfect each time and every time for any ruby/sidedish:-

10 tablespoons Ghee or Veg oil
2 tablespoons Garlic (crushed)
2 tablespoons Ginger (finely grated)
1 tablespoon Turmeric
1.5 tablespoons Curry Powder
1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
1 tablespoon Ground Coriander
2 teaspoons Chilli Powder
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
1 kg Onions
1 cup Water
3 tablespoons Tomato Puree
0.5 teaspoon Ajowan Seeds
0.5 teaspoon Salt

1.  Make a smooth paste by adding water to the turmeric, curry powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, chilli powder and garam masala ---- set aside.

2.  Heat the ghee or oil, add the garlic and ginger and stir fry until light brown.  Add the prepared spice paste and continue to stir fry for 3 minutes.

3.  Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes before adding water, tomato puree and ajowan seeds.  Cook for a further 10 minutes. Add the salt and mix thoroughly.

4.  Add 4.5 pints of water, 6 carrots (chopped), 2 green peppers (chopped), 5 potatoes (chopped), 200g of creamed coconut block, 3 knorr chicken cubes and 3 teaspoons of sugar.

5.  Cook until all vegetables are cooked through then leave to cool. 

6.  Finally blend the mixture.

This recipe has never failed me --- turning out great looking and tasting BIR dishes.

Enjoy.......................
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 09:55 PM by Admin »

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: best base sauce... ever
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 03:22 AM »
This one looks vaguely familiar.  :)

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 07:19 AM »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the recipe Dave.  Looks like it should produce a decent curry base.  :).....although I would have anticipated a lot more onions than 1kg?

However, one small point that I'd appreciate someone helping me out on please.  This is the second time now (both times on this site) that I've seen  reference to adding "ajowan" seeds ("ajwain" or "lovage" seeds) to a curry base. 

I'm surprised because, until now (in 20 years or so), I can't recall seeing any recipe, in any curry book, calling for it's use (apart from as a minor ingredient in some minor dishes)? 

I had some ajwain seeds recently, but ended up ditching them because they had a disgusting, strong, pungent, musty smell and I never used them anyway!  :P

Can someone please enlighten me on what they do to the curry base and whether they are considered an essential ingredient or not?

Many thanks
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 07:50 AM by Fat Les »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 10:54 AM »
Dave

Thank you for posting this recipe. Could you please  confirm:

- whether vegetable ghee, butter ghee or vegetable oil give the best result. Which do you use, please, to get your 'best ever' result, notwithstanding that you give an option in your recipe.

- what is the exact brand/mix of (a) curry powder and (b) garam masala you use? I agree with Terry, I think it was, who said the precise mix of powders used is 100% important.

Regards
George

Offline dave3310

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:20 PM »
Hello George. 

I always use veg oil. I have tried it with butter ghee but in my opinion i prefered the taste of the finished dish using oil.

As for the curry powder I've only ever used "Rajah" hot madras curry powder and, again, "Rajah" garam masala.

Regards

Dave

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 03:09 PM »
Dave

Many thanks for the clarification. Your base sauce will now go on my list of recipes to try.

CC

Out of interest, which other sauce does this one remind you of?

Regards
George

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 09:36 PM »
Dave

Many thanks for the clarification.

No pun intended I am sure.... :)

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 03:11 AM »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the recipe Dave.  Looks like it should produce a decent curry base.  :).....although I would have anticipated a lot more onions than 1kg?

Hi Dave,

Can you confirm that 1kg (about 4 medium ones) of onions is correct or not?  Looking at the amount of other ingredients in your recipe, I would have expected at least 2kg (about 8 medium ones) of onions, and probably around 3kg (about 12 medium ones)?

Thanks

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 03:13 AM »

However, one small point that I'd appreciate someone helping me out on please.  This is the second time now (both times on this site) that I've seen  reference to adding "ajowan" seeds ("ajwain" or "lovage" seeds) to a curry base. 

I'm surprised because, until now (in 20 years or so), I can't recall seeing any recipe, in any curry book, calling for it's use (apart from as a minor ingredient in some minor dishes)? 

I had some ajwain seeds recently, but ended up ditching them because they had a disgusting, strong, pungent, musty smell and I never used them anyway!  :P

Can someone please enlighten me on what they do to the curry base and whether they are considered an essential ingredient or not?

Many thanks

Well.......any takers??  I'm waiting with baited breath  :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 04:57 AM by Fat Les »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 12:33 PM »
Ive seen them in 4 base recipes now including this one. The others being Bruce Edwards, secrets of the indian chefs revealed (which I think is a rip off of BE anyway), ifindforu's recent base.

Pete has also seen chef's use powedered thyme instead which gives off a very similar odour.

Whether its essential or not who knows!

©2024 Curry Recipes