Author Topic: I got the secret!  (Read 19392 times)

Offline MathematicalPhysicist

• Chef
    • View Profile
I got the secret!
« on: May 25, 2006, 11:14 AM »
Hail fellow curry lovers,
After spending a while as a passive observer of this forum, and sharing in the joy of curry and the missery of the "close but no cigar" home curry cooking experience, I had a stroke of luck last night that I felt you should all know about. Cutting a long story short, my girlfriend and I were scavenging around a wee scottish town at close to midnight trying to find somewhere to get a good curry when we stumbled across a tandoori takeaway. At 11:50 we didn't dare pass by, but neither of us had been there before (and you know how that can go!) so we we're a little hessitant. Anyway, the place smelled wonderful and there was a queue at the door (and no pubs around that I could see), so in we went, the last customers. Now, my girldfriend is Pakistani and she frequently manages to get us some kind of better-than-normal treatment in these places and last night was no exception. When all the others had left and we were the only ones remaining she asked if we could come in and see the kitchen. After 2 minutes of quick and noisy tidying ("In case you think I'm a dirty person", he said!) we got to go into his kitchen and have a look. And it was pretty much what you would expect from a 2-man outlet. Then the amazing bit: my gf asked him outright for the recipe of the base sauce that was sitting in a massive tub in his cooler. And he gave it to us along with cooking instructions. Then, further to that, he cooked our order right in front of us and told us exactly what he was doing. Now 2 things: 1) he was making 2 batches of base sauce over low burner units at the back of the kitchen and one was further along than the other and they both seemed to confirm what he told us about the base sauce, and 2) when we got home and tried it, it was astonishingly delicsious and full of that what-the-hell-IS-that-? taste we're all trying to recreate. Now don't go thinking that because it was a wee scottish town and I'm scottish that I don't know the taste of a good curry: I've eaten curry all round brittain and in dozens of other countries for decades. So this was the real thing. But there's a catch. NOTHING he told me was revolutionary, nothing hard to do, nothing that isn't right under our noses. So, unless there was some kind of exceptional slight of hand, "the taste" is available from practically any supermarket shelf.
I'll be trying the recipe out today and will give you all the feedback. Strange, I already feel like I'm going to fail!
Andrew

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: I got the secret!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 11:17 AM »
Excellent, any chance of the recipe so we can try as well  8)

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 01:28 PM »
Hi Andrew,

What a spot of luck for you and your girlfriend!  I hope the recipe turns out alright too and then you can visit this take-away every so often to get more recipes.  Can't wait to hear how its gone down.  CQ

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 04:28 AM »
Well done MathematicalPhysicist now all that remains is for you to post the recipe!

Stew 8)

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 06:07 AM »
Please post wether you fail or not it could be very interesting  :-\

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 07:55 AM »
Yes please,im looking forward to this post  ;)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 03:51 PM »
i ask why go to lengths of 200 word essay and not place your findings?

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 08:23 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? :-X

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 10:08 PM »
So how did it turn out ?  ;)

Offline MathematicalPhysicist

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 07:24 AM »
 :-\Sorry folks, but some personal crap got in the way of the "dawning of a new home curry epoch" base sauce tryout a few days ago. Today (sunday) is the the new epoch starting date. I'll have it cooked by late afternoon and post my findings. Apologies for the let down.
Andrew

©2024 Curry Recipes