Author Topic: trade secrets of the Indian restaurant From a Restaurant owner!  (Read 2912 times)

Offline ChefMike

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile

I have been looking at many posts. They mostly suggest frying the Onions.

I have been boiling and blending the onions to reduce the oil that rises to the top.

There are other tips and trade secrets that might help other readers.

Will try to help wherever possible

in exchange I need help with any unusual recipes ( not the usual Madras, Korma) that you have discovered . I intend to de-skill & simplify these recipes for all to enjoy

Mike

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hi Mike,  I don't fry the onions either, I think it's a waste of time.   I do, however, put a lot of veg oil when making the base so that it can rise to the top.  I then skim it off the top and bottle it for future use.  I have been doing it this way for the past 20 odd years.  Its good to use when making dishes this oil and it gives a wonderful smell in my kitchen too!  What recipes are you looking for?  Have you achieved that elusive, wonderful bir smell/aroma that you get from a take-away when you make yours?

Offline ChefMike

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Hi Curry queen and DarthPhall
I posted about the boil and blend technique because way back in 1987 When I believe I was the first to offer an Indian buffet , I used to notice that after 30 minutes or so , under the hot lamps the oil would rise to the Top, Not nice to look at !

All cuisine is born out of necessity; you can only eat what you can grow or use what is available cheaply. Onions don?t need much looking after and can therefore be grown cheaply.  However there are many in India who for spiritual or health reasons avoid Garlic and onions. (And Coffee /tea/alcohol)

Our cuisine, Gujarati, does not use an onion base at all!
And the sauces are watery and thin. I assume that in the British climate which is always cold, a few more calories and the customer?s desire for value for money (Something chunky!) led the restaurateurs to use Onions ---Cheap, to bulk out the curries. I have even heard of some using boiled spuds or starches to thicken the sauce!

Try making a curry without the Onions. Or even use a puree of leftover Carrots, celery, any hard vegetable! Would love feed back from people on this.
My belief is that a good chef should not be a slave to a recipe but innovative and make something out of what is available. There are many recipes that are results of accidents or improvisations---the chocolate chip cookie is a good example!
Most Indian veggies dishes are made without Onions ?at least in Gujarat which is the fussiest and most difficult of all Indian Cuisines ?More on this later.

As for the Aromas, my feelings are that it is the coriander and Fenugreek that provide the fragrant notes in the smell. Cloves & Cinnamon if used whole will also give lovely aroma. Rice cooked, steamed with a couple of cloves is lovely to smell!
Please remember spices have spores( diseases) modern fumigation and irradiation counter this , but do what the Indians do, use the Vaghar /Baghar / Tarkari technique---Fry the onions in hot oil , sterilise the spices and diffuse the aromas within the oil to which the main ingredients are added.
Mike

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Hi Mike,

Great stuff, very intresting reading!

Do you own your own restaurant then and if so where is it?

Cheers
cK

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Great post Mike - very informative .

CC

Offline ChefMike

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Hi Steve (Curry King), CAnuck

I have an Indian restaurant In Paphos Cyprus(5 years) . I used to be in Manchester, NO Not the Curry Mile !
I also have experience  frozen foods hotels, airlines supermarkets etc

My intention is to de-skill and help others make Healthy, and food-safe foods ( minimising risks in the kitchen) and SAVE money through tricks.

I must say I am very impressed by the grasp Of Indian cuisine that some of you display.

I have always been innovative, printing a new menu daily( on wordprocessor in 1987)
introducing true Indian cuisine by way of a buffet . Otherwise people order what they feel safe with.
As  A food manufacturer as well as being interested in the Environment, nutrition I marvel at how advanced real Indian food is . It is the most energy efficient, low risk  and healthy cuisine .It has fallen into  wrong hands who can only see profit and not the interests of human beings or the environment!

Those of you wishing to enter the trade should not be afraid, some of the best curries I have had, have been made by , Non-Indian chefs who have approached Indian food with Humilty.

I am actually thinking of offering a cooking class for persons with a passion for catering.
Any ideas ?

Any of you got Unusal recipes other than vegetarian or the run of the mill , korma, madras etc please let me know .

Mike

©2024 Curry Recipes