Author Topic: The "Secret Ingredient" Onion Paste  (Read 53370 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The "Secret Ingredient" Onion Paste
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2008, 07:24 AM »
Bobby,

had not read your post as offensive - there's some effort in making the paste and if it don't work then that's clearly not good. (btw getting the right woman in your life is the no 1 - enough said).

i used 1/3 tsp and thought this too much for the Cinnamon but now it's been in the fridge a while it's mellowed. the fact u used 1/2 tsp i feel should have suited your stronger taste buds. best wishes going fwd.

might try the direct addition of 1/2 tsp tandoori masala - had missed this somehow

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2009, 02:33 PM »
i've settled on my thoughts for making this paste.

i've now only use the as spec TRS masala instead of the rajah i'd used previously. a wet finger tasting easily confirms the powders are very similar but the TRS for me the better. the rajah is much more salty.

i've copied an idea from Panpots bunjarra (which i also make) of using a 4" stick of cinnamon instead of powder. for me it produces a far better taste.

i've tried leaving out the early stage of adding the blended onion to hot oil in favour of a slow simmer throughout the cooking (typ 3 hrs). this is not a good idea as the onions take a lot longer to cook. aesthetically the paste/oil does not brown as much either.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2009, 10:20 AM »
i've been alternating between the 2 off cooking methods to establish which is easiest and whether any loss in taste results (the other being the ashoka method : http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3189.msg28517#msg28517)

i feel i've settled on the ashoka method of cooking ie not blending up front but cooking chopped onion and then blending at the end. i feel the blending upfront method takes longer to cook and is not as easy to detect visually when the end of cooking is reached (for me when the oil starts to separate & paste starts to stick with a yellow tinge on the base of the pan when stirring).

as for which recipe to use - i still can't make my mind up as i although they taste different on their own the difference in the final dish is hard to detect.

Offline windybum

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2009, 09:53 PM »
This is my attempt at the secret onion paste - 3.5hrs cooking time.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2009, 08:46 AM »
This is my attempt at the secret onion paste - 3.5hrs cooking time.

windybum,

only realised that u'd included the below link when i was replying (pic did not show intially)

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj465/clairef1000/BunjaraSmall.jpg

will be interesting how u feel it tastes. the cooking time of 3.5hrs sits well with me but the colour looks darker than what i get. your's looks as if it's far more caramelised (and if so probably better than my attempts).

Offline windybum

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2009, 02:37 AM »
Hi,

Regarding the secret onion paste photo above, i feel due to the longer cooking time the smokey burnt flavour was really present in this paste, i did not add cinnamon powder i used a two inch piece of cassia bark and removed it after two hours, just enough i feel.
I will make the ashoka paste again to compare again. I think i will caramelise the ashoka paste further next time to get a better comparison, but overall I'm undecided on which i prefer at the moment, both are good.

I found a recipe on another site called Punjabi onion paste which is made in the microwave... i may give that ago some time soon..

When adding onion pastes to my dishes i do think it finishes the dish off in terms of that smokey Moorish flavour and will keep a batch in the fridge at all times

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2009, 08:20 AM »
Hi,

i feel due to the longer cooking time the smokey burnt flavour was really present in this paste

thanks windybum. i think i am certainly cooking it less than u and will need to up the heat a little more (i use very low) to try and copy your result for comparison too.

interesting that u used casia. i used to swear by it but have recently warmed to Cinnamon.

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2009, 08:37 AM »

I found a recipe on another site called Punjabi onion paste which is made in the microwave... i may give that ago some time soon..

Hi Windybum,

I'd be really interested to see that recipe if you're willing to share it. :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2009, 10:57 AM »
had a go yesterday at getting the "darker" version of the paste.

it did not work out and i've given up on it as i'm now convinced that it already turns out good enough.

i cooked the paste for 4 hrs (instead of 3hrs) and used a hotter temp than normal. still very low heat though (after the initial fry) but hotter in that it was constantly catching on the bottom of the pan as opposed to normally just the last 1/2 hr or so.

the colour did not change but the paste became very dry and was difficult to blend at the end. i needed to add extra water and oil. i also endued up with only 1/2 the amount that i normally get so it must be very condensed in flavour (although it did not taste it). i will start out using 1 tsp during cooking c/w 1 tbsp normally.

have attached pic of the bottled product.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2009, 02:18 PM »
Jerry,

I think the intent is to caramelise the onions.  If so, you should use just a little oil and fry gently, using low heat.  The onions should caramelise (i.e. turn brown and sweet) after about 20 minutes or so (not 4 hours! :o)

If you use too much oil the onions will fry rather than caramelise.

If you cook them for too long they will burn rather than caramelise.

A little sugar or vinegar is often added to help caramelise the onions.

©2024 Curry Recipes