Author Topic: Ashoka at the Quay  (Read 62446 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2009, 07:56 AM »
Hi guys, Ive been away for a while due to holidays, work and moving house,country even. I did however get back to The Ashoka and got a few more recipes particularly the one for the Patia Sauce.

cool thanks PP look forward to that  :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2009, 12:30 PM »

As I suspected they don't do a Madras as such(probably a regional thing)though he said when asked for it he just adds the cooked chili paste.

good to know u managed the 2nd visit and look fwd to the additional recipes.

an establishment which does not do madras is staggering for me. i'd be v.interested in more about what the chef said on the subject. for example did he mean that he makes a basic curry sauce as std and then just adds chilli whenever someone asks for madras hot - this would sound sensible.

also v.much appreciate your thoughts on the onion paste. windybum has made it quite a lot darker than i've dared to go (mine is very reddish, certainly not dark). pls advise how dark the Ashoka makes it. although mine tastes very good i'm concerned i could be missing out.

windybum's pic here (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3128.msg30635#msg30635)

mine here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3128.msg27918#msg27918

Offline RebeccaVT

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2009, 12:59 AM »
Thank you Panpot! 

I have been using these recipes religiously ever since I discovered this forum.  Especially the ginger/garlic and onion pastes.  I'm excited that you have new ones to share with us!

Jerry- I have made 3 large batches of the onion paste so far.  The first batch I cooked quite a bit longer and came out very dark and caramelized like windybum's. My next two batches didn't get cooked down as much, but I'm not sure if I like them as much.  I think I preferred the first batch, but I need to make one more to compare.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2009, 10:01 AM »
RebeccaVT,

thanks for info - it's enough for me to make a dark version like windybum's next. i do like the taste of the lighter red version but gut feeling is that the darker version may have better impact on the taste of the finished curry dish.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2009, 01:55 PM »
glad to see this thread is still generating interest it has probably been the most useful (to me) set of posts on the site so far, but then I am biased because I like Ashoka curries

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2009, 12:48 PM »
I hope to get the opportunity this week to post some new recipes form my 2nd visit to The Ashoka. In the meantime I realise its a bit late given my absence from the site and it may be covered elsewhere but the Onion paste is the colour of Branston Pickle and I have managed to duplicate it each time. It is definitely the business as I wish to primarily recreate Glasgow BIR tastes. Cheers PP

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2009, 12:30 AM »
Looking forward to reading your posts Panpot!

Offline Curry on up the Kyber

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Please, please, please post the Chasni and Patia stuff, Panpot.  Its my favourite.

I eat at the Ashoka West End a lot and your recipes are spot on.

Thanks for all your effort ;D

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2009, 12:35 PM »
OK here we go, I may only get a few things done today but I wanted to make a start and add what I can when I get the chance.

Patia Sauce

Mango Chutney 500gms
Tomato Sauce 300gms
Mint Sauce 1 teaspoon
Lemon Juice 20 ml

Blend Mango Chutney then add rest of ingredients and blend till smooth.

I intend to use a hand blender.

This is of course a downsized version of the restaurant quantities.

This is combined with pre cooked chicken, lamb etc.

Chasni

One chefs spoon of Patia Sauce
1/2 ladle of base sauce
single cream to taste

Jaipuri

Onion/Ginger paste
Tomato Puree
Methi
Banjara
touch of Tandoori paste
Touch of Green Chili Paste
large diced onions and Peppers
when ready touch of Coconut cream

The cooking of these, method and quantities can be gleemed from the recipes at the start of this thread

Enjoy PP

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2009, 10:59 AM »
I cooked Chicken Chasni last night & my wife gave it top marks. It was the real deal and really a great addition to my menu.

I also revisited my original notes on Pakora and taking into account comments on Bhaji on another thread I Cooke my best ever Vegatable Pakora.

I soaked the veg as per the ingredients above but excluded the addition of the Gram Flour until the mix was wet. I only had to add a little water to get the right consistency. I as above rested the cooking of batches for a few minutes before complete g enough for us both.

I have frozen the balance if half cooked Pakora and will see I. Due course if they can be store this way.

I have one or two more things to post re The Ashoka and I am pleased that a fellow Glasgow enthusiast values the results that just may well prove that regional variations are important. Cheers PP PS I have had real challenges attempting to correct obvious typos above, I am using my iTouch so who knows why so please accept my apologies for the obvious.

©2024 Curry Recipes