Author Topic: Spiced oil Madras.  (Read 20358 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Spiced oil Madras.
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2010, 12:11 PM »
i want a truly authentic bir curry. not some anglosised version with....worcester sauce.

Ah, sorry Derek, I think it must have been adriandavidb and/orJerry that says their favourite BIR in Gatwick uses it in their madras then?

PS:  but BIR curries ARE anglosised versions of Indian curries DD!  ::)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2010, 04:29 PM »
yes they are CA, but i sometimes feel some members anglosise them a stage further still. But thats a personal taste thing , obviously. Some bir are packed every week yet i dont enjoy there curries. These are the ones that push anglosising indian curry to the extreme. it pays well, but i hate there curries. i can tell some members here like that approach. and emulate it in there curries. obviously it comes back to a personal preference again. in many ways it adds more interest to the forum, if some members go off on different tangents to others. its all good

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 04:55 PM »
CA,

not a place for me gatwick - not with ringway so close.

i am guilty though of sometimes adding worcester sauce to madras. the last time is probably over 1 yr ago. i note that it is high in this Japanese umarmi thing though.

i intend getting to sylheti some time this yr and have worcester sauce on the list to try out (from Mrs Balbir sing's book i think).

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2010, 05:58 PM »

ps which is the kushi base - can't recall it yet i use the mix powder quite a lot (it's 1 of 3 i keep stocked LB & aka being the other 2).

Hi Jerry, it's from the "Authentic Balti Curry" book.  Actually, someone may want to move this but here goes!

Recipe moved to recipe section here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4283.0

Hope that helps Jerry, it took me fekin ages to type :(
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:15 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2010, 09:27 PM »
Very interesting recipe Razor.
Nice one.  ;)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2010, 10:20 PM »
Very interesting recipe Razor.
Nice one.  ;)

Thanks Mikka but not my recipe, it comes from the "Authentic Balti Curry" cookbook.  I just posted it for Jerry as he was asking about it.

Ray

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 07:06 AM »
Razor,

thanks u're a real star. i like the look of the base and it has quite a few interesting areas for me. i'll have a look in more detail but am pretty sure i'll give it a go.

many many thanks.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I've tried a couple of different bases, SS's, KD's and the BE ones but I always end up back with this one for some reason.  I think it's because I use the Kushi spice blend, they must just compliment each other as you would expect.  It's quite versitile but if your thinking of using it for a CTM, I personally would leave out the chilli powder!  Likewise with the Kushi spice mix.

Interestingly, The Kushi restaurant don't use this base for their Korma, they have a specific base that they use for Korma's alone!!

I bet your gonna ask me for that one now arn't ya  ;D

Ray

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Ray,

no. we're not into korma's.

i've tried quite a few bases and feel i can see what this base will taste like (very good for sure). there are few interesting parts which caught my eye. the proportions and total amount of whole spice, the inclusion of mace, the proportions and total amount of spice mix.

i've used mace before when i used to make my own garam. it's a sort of medicine taste and i'd been thinking of adding it for a while now to pep up my oil. i'd also been thinking of x2 the whole spice (i use 4 bay, 4 cardamom, 1 off anis, 2" cinnamon per base). i've also come to the conclusion that i don't feel curry powder and garam work well in a base - i prefer individual spices. this base will test this theory. i've not tried methi in base before. i also prefer nowadays cinnamon c/w casia although i've used casia for many years. i also still use casia in non curry cooking as sometimes it's just what u need.

i'll have a good look at the how the base compares this morning in terms of oil, onion etc.

i do rate the kushi spice mix and that wraps it up for me - top notch base nothing less. i hope to make next w/e to spec.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:11 AM by JerryM »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2010, 09:54 AM »
Hi Jerry

Just to point something out before you give this a go,  most other bases I have done have a tomatoey note to them whereas this doesn't.  It's quite a strange taste to describe but the books author describes it as tasting "soapy".  I wouldn't describe it quite like that myself and I don't think he is doing himself any favours with that decription, but you certainly know that you have used whole spices in there.

Which gets me pondering, once again, what is the difference between Batli & BIR?  Is it the addition of whole spices in the base and the considerable variety of spices in the spice mix?  Still haven't worked this one out yet ???

Ray

©2024 Curry Recipes