Author Topic: Kushi "Authentic Balti Curry" Cookbook Base  (Read 36307 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Kushi "Authentic Balti Curry" Cookbook Base
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:13 AM »
Posted by Razor and moved to here by CA

Into a muslin net (to make like a teabag thingy)

3 cloves
6 x 1 inch pieces of cassia bark
3 - 4 pieces of mace
3 - 4 green cardamom pods
2 star anise
3 bay leaves, dried

then tie a knot - making it similar to a large teabag.  Drop this into the pan, along with:

1 kg onion, roughly chopped
1 tbsp salt
1050 ml cold water
1/2 green and 1/2 red pepper, chopped
125g fresh carrot, roughly chopped

Stir well.

Put onto a high heat, and bring to the boil.  Cover and boil for 45 minutes stirring frequently.

While that's simmering, make another mixture to add to it.  Take:

30g peeled fresh garlic (about 3 - 4 cloves)
30g peeled fresh ginger

Using a blender, make into a paste with a small amount of water.  Set aside.

Then, in a seperate bowl, mix:

2 1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 3/4 tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp tumeric powder
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 3/4 tsp dried fenugreek leaf (Methi) finely chopped
3/4 tsp garam masala powder

Open a 200g can of chopped tomato and set aside.

Roughly chop 12g fresh coriander leaves, and also put to one side.  These will be used at the end of the recipe.

Into a seperat, good-sized saucepan (I use a wok) add 5 tbsp (75ml) of vegetable oil.  Heat the oil then add the garlic and ginger paste mixture.  Stir until it becomes golden brown.

Take off the heat, and add the mixture of spices.  It's important to remove it from the heat, as the spices burn easily, and should be treated with care.

Stir well, and return to a very low heat.  You'll notice the wonderful instant aroma of spices.

Add the can of chopped tomato, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.

Add 600ml (1 pint) of hot water into the mixture, and bring back to the boil, stirring constantly.  Despit the fact that there's now liquid in this mixture, the spices can still burn on the base of the pan.

Once it has boiled for about 3 - 4 minutes, take it off the heat.

Go back to the large pan of onion mixture.  Once it's boiled for the necessary 45 minutes, remove the net containing the whole spices and throw it away.

Pour the spicy tomato mixure into the onion pan, stir well, and boil for around 5 minutes.

Leave to cool before adding the coriander leaves, and then reduce to a smooth gravy using a blender.  The base sauce is now complete!

This sauce should be enough for about 10 portions but I like to add more water, just to thin it out a touch as it is quite thick.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:10 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: "Authentic Balti Curry" Cookbook Base
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Thanks CA  :)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 03:34 AM »
I haven't tried this base, but am curious to ask those who have (Razor, Jerry, etc), what makes this a "balti" base?

It looks like a fairly regular base to me, with the exception of the spice bag. I've never tried one in a base, but am curious what it adds.

Is this base not versatile? i.e. does it work well with Balti, but little else
I'm guessing that it has a bit of a garam masala undertone?

Is there a Balti recipe that goes with it?

I only tried balti a few times while I was in the UK, but never from one of the much-talked about Balti houses. I was never impressed. It seemed to me like an overspiced bhuna. And for some reason I remember it being the only curry on the menu that came with naan.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:08 AM »
Razor,

have had a look at the amounts and they sit pretty well to me. i can add or pm the detail if u're interested.

typ: oil is lower than i would use (75ml c/w 135). the amount of casia is more and i would usually use cinnamon. i'm not keen on cloves. chilli as u say is too high.

the method is very different to my norm (all in pot at start) although i have used same in the past.

looking fwd to trying the as spec version next week end. some interesting challenges for me (amount & type of spice)

many thanks for posting.

org link http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3946.msg38974#msg38974

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:31 AM »

It looks like a fairly regular base to me, with the exception of the spice bag. I've never tried one in a base, but am curious what it adds.

Hi Josh,

Maybe it's the addition of the spice bag that makes that makes this a Balti base, I don't really know if I am being honest.  I have asked the question a few times on here as to what the difference between Balti & BIR.  My own personal obsevations are, there is very little difference, maybe the Balti's are slightly more spiced, with a thicker sauce?

Yeah, there are lots of recipes to go with this base but I suggest that you knock up a batch of the Kushi spice mix first.  I don't know how to put up the link, sorry :( but you should should be able to find it easy enough, if not, let me know and I will post it.

Interesting to hear that when you last had a Balti in the UK, it was the only dish on the menu offering a naan!  Am I correct in thinking that the dish was described specifically as "Balti"?  The thing is, I can't see how they can just put out a dish called "Chicken/Lamb Balti"  The recipes I have are quite specific in that they are,  everything from,  Chicken/Lamb Balti Bhuna,  Balti Madras, Balti Pathia.......all the usual dishes but with the addition of the word Balti.  Which brings me to the conclusion that a Balti, is nothing more than a BIR but cooked in a Balti pan (Karahi) and served in a Balti bowl.

If people are interested, I will post as many as the recipes as possible but I think it would be easier to have its own section, unfortunately, I dont know how to do this.  Maybe Jerry or CA could point me in the right direction?

Ray

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:59 AM »
I will post as many as the recipes as possible but I think it would be easier to have its own section, unfortunately, I dont know how to do this

Hi Ray,

Just post the recipes in the most appropriate (main dish) recipe sections of the forum

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 09:48 AM »
Which brings me to the conclusion that a Balti, is nothing more than a BIR but cooked in a Balti pan (Karahi) and served in a Balti bowl.

as far as i know there is only one place to have balti - alum rock road.http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2417.msg20911#msg20911

the rest are very nice but quite different (ie a BIR interpretation).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Razor,

this is a top notch base and well exceeds the threshold - i really like it. i did not enjoy making it though - making the red sauce is a real pain.

there's was much learning in this base for me and it was just what i needed. many thanks for posting. i still have to cook with it.

i'll add the pics below and then a bit more detail in a further post.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kushi "Authentic Balti Curry" Cookbook Base
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Jerry I notice that you're using the wrong type of bay leaf. Those are English bay and you need to be using Indian bay, there's a world of difference. The asian bay have the veins running almost in parallel with the middle stalk like this: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Indian_bay_leaf_-_tejpatta_-_indisches_Lorbeerblatt.jpg

they're proper indian bay called tej pata and have an aniseed flavour. TRS do them. The English dried bay may as well be replaced with cardboard for all the good it does!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kushi "Authentic Balti Curry" Cookbook Base
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 11:56 PM »
There is a description of the two in the glossary section on this forum SS:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2208.0

©2024 Curry Recipes