Author Topic: Chilli sauce from the East BIR  (Read 24565 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli sauce from the East BIR
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2009, 08:43 AM »
is it sweet?

but if its just citric acid/sugar/lime or lemon it shouldn't be hard for folks not finding it to make a solution I would think?

Do you have an ingredient list please?

YES - it is sweet (and why it's better than plain lemon juice, i think the citric acid gives it a nice gentle touch too)

Ingredients: Water, Citric acid, lemon juice concentrate, sugar, preservative, sodium benzoate and much more.

It cost i think 39p (i could of got 3 for ?1).

It really performs well during the cooking - the squirt action from the long tin bottle.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2009, 08:51 AM »
Secret Santa,

many many many thanks is all i need to say on this one. the camera does not do it justice.

i made 1 at the beginning of the night and 1 at the end. i tried g/g paste in the 2nd but won't do it again. i will keep the mango separate too for sure (it don't need it).

i will add more water on the next batch for ease and speed during cooking (it did not pour freely enough - think it had become thicker since being made (which i find happens generally). i used 1 chef per portion. i also x2 the bunjarra and added at frying stage.

i'm well sorted.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2009, 10:48 AM »
What is this please Jerry?  Is it the tomato/chilli sauce or a curry sauce made from it?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2009, 09:09 AM »
Is it the tomato/chilli sauce or a curry sauce made from it?

It is a curry sauce made from it:

oil 60ml
Tom puree 5ml
salt 1.25ml
Mix powder 5ml
Bunjarra 30ml
Chilli Sauce (Secret Santa) 60ml
Lemon dressing squirt
Base 300ml

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2009, 07:26 PM »
Tell you what, that looks the business Jerry, sorry to ask this but what is Bunjarra lol? i am new to this and if you dont mind me asking where are you from as your take on curry sauce might be different from mines? also how do you rate the sauce you made on a 1/10 scale , 1 being poor and 10 being amazing

Looks fantastic

Garry

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2009, 09:09 AM »
gazman1976,

bunjarra (not sure if i even spell it right) is onion paste. there are 2 off recipe - original and ashoka. i've not actually made the ashoka to spec as i've always used tandoori masala and not garam as per ashoka spec. http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3128.msg27899#msg27899 & http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3189.msg28517#msg28517

i like the ashoka way of making it and i find using a stick of cinnamon way better than using powder.

i'm from west midlands originally but been in north west a long time too. i'm real particular on my curry sauce and use it to judge a place. there's are a lot of BIR curry sauce i don't like - always brown in colour (methi has a hand).

i reckon my dish(s) were a 8, 7, 5. the dish from the TA does vary from 7 to 10. i just need to polish it a bit which i think will come over time as i get to know the recipe. the chilli sauce by Secret Santa is for me the real deal and made a step difference in the taste. on the 3rd dish (5) i forgot to use tom puree at frying and it made quite a difference (for the worse) in the taste - surprising given the high proportion in the chilli sauce.

i did not blend the garlic & ginger upfront (in water) which again is key for me so that the flavour is spread evenly. this i will do on my next go.

best wishes to u.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2010, 09:58 AM »
made 2nd batch (from left to right in photo: ashoka g/g paste, bunjarra, Secret Santa Chilli sauce).

i used the ashoka g/g paste in place of the garlic & ginger and just used standard chilli powder. i also "cooked" it in the microwave (bake 3 mins).

could not detect any difference to previous batch other than the hotness went up from  using the hot chilli powder.

have cooked with it and worked a treat.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2010, 11:51 AM »
All looks very professional Jerry  8)

I didn't realise you'd been in business since 1881!  blimey, you're old!  :P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:58 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Just what I was going to say Jerry, very professional.
I might do the same with onion garlic paste myself this week. Do you sterilize the jars or is it just gone too quick?  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2010, 07:09 AM »
CA/Mikka,

i noticed the 1881 as i uploaded - from a jar of marmalade (duerr's) - real good stuff once u've put a little of the scotch stuff in.

on the jars i sterilise with boiling water 1st but these will be gone inside the week and stored in the fridge. i do add oil as the level reduces to stop the air getting at it.

©2024 Curry Recipes