Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Jal Frezi by Razor  (Read 31160 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Tikka Jal Frezi by Razor
« on: October 07, 2010, 05:15 PM »
 Razor's Chicken Tikka Jal Frezi

This is my recipe for Chicken Tikka Jal Frezi.  I have put links to my base and spice blend but if you already have some knocked up, then go with that.  Also, this is for a hot version but in brackets are the quantities for a medium one.

Chicken Tikka Jal Frezi

6-8 pieces of cooked chicken tikka. I've used Dipuraja's in this recipe because it's quite strong in flavour and doesn't get lost in the dish.  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4432.0

1.5 chefspoon of veg oil (or whatever oil you prefer)

1 tsp of garlic paste (jarred if you prefer)

0.5 tsp of ginger paste (jarred if you prefer)

3 pieces of Red pepper

3 pieces of yellow or green pepper

Half of a small onion, diced into 4

5 thin green chillies (2 for medium) stalks removed and split lengthways

Half of a tomato, cut in half again (2 quarters of a full one)

300ml of base sauce http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4596.0

1 tsp of spice mix http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4706.0

1 chefspoon of onion paste (optional) http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4721.0

1 heaped tsp of chilli powder (quarter tsp for medium)

0.5 tsp of ground black pepper ( just a pinch for medium)

0.5 tsp sugar (optional but I would recommend)

1 tsp of dried methi leaves (not powdered methi)

1 tbs of fresh chopped coriander

Method

Heat 0.5 chefspoon of oil in a pan.

Add the pieces of red and yellow/green peppers and fry gently for about 2 minutes, making sure you keep giving the a good stir.

Next add the onion and fry for a further 2 minutes, trying not to get too much colour on the peppers.

Once the onions have broken up into individual pieces, add the chillies and continue frying for another minute.

Then, add 2 chefspoons of base and the quartered tomatoes and continue cooking gently for a further 3 mins or until the peppers have gone a little softer.

Remove all the veg from the pan and set to one side.

Next, heat the remaining oil in a pan on high and add the garlic and ginger paste.  It will spit at first but does die down.  Make sure that you continually stir the garlic and the ginger with the back of the chefspoon until it just starts to turn golden.

Remove the pan from the heat and add the spice mix, chilli powder, black pepper, dried methi, and sugar.  Again, stir this with the back of the spoon, off the heat, for about 30 seconds.

Put the pan back on a low heat and continue to stir the spices for a further 30 seconds.  This will prevent them from burning.

Add the onion paste (if using) and mix it well with the spices.

Crank up the heat to half and continue to stir for a further minute.

Turn the heat up to full, and add 2 chefspoons of base, continue to stir.

When you notice the oil coming to the surface, add a further 2 chefspoons of base, and stir

Again, when the oil rises, add the remaining base, along with the precooked veg and the chicken tikka.

Give this a stir and let it cook on medium for about 3 minutes, giving it a stir now and then.

Finally, add the chopped fresh coriander, turn off the heat, and stir.  Rest the curry for 1 min, then serve.

I usually have this with plain boiled rice but you could serve it with naans, parathas or chapatti's if you wish.

The pre cooking of the onions and peppers may seem like a bit of a faff but a lot of BIR's will have these precooked anyway.  By all means, increase the amount of onions and peppers that you precook, and freeze what you don't use.

Enjoy,

Ray :)

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Jal Frezi by Razor
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:33 PM »
nice one Razor i didnt think you had added it to the forum yet. I must stress that to all the people going to try this dish my photos of my attempt dont do it justice. my advice to everyone who is going to try this recipe is follow Razors spec to the letter and include the onion paste.
 I am cooking for 9 on saturday with this recipe as my main dish, i am also doing djalpras onion bhajis with CA's mint riata (unless anyone can recommend better?). i am guaranteed to impress ;D

Razor with regards to the Tikka recipe by djalpras, again after over two days marination like CA's it was simply outstanding much better than the previous days even though it was from the same marinade. That is my rule of thumb now, i am going to allow at least 30 hrs marinadeing before cooking.

regards

moonster

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 05:41 PM »
Hi Moonster,

After your kind words in your post, and 1 or 2 others asking me via PM for the recipe, I felt obliged to post it.

Just hope it's to everyones taste :)

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 06:00 PM »
It should suit everyone, as your medium to hot works really well and it is a real tasty dish. I am doing the medium version on saturday so it will appeal to everyone of varying thresholds. i am sure i will be asked for the recipe, i will simply point them to this thread.

on another note which is the best mint riata recipe, i am doing CA's version in preperation for saturday, purely because i already have all the ingrediants in for it.

thanks

moonster

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Hi Moonster,

Don't think you will go far wrong with CA's mint raita.

Offline Gazza63

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Razor, I'm just about to try cooking this up and the first thing that I get is Chef's spoon, I'm sorry but please put any measurements in the recognised amounts , a chef spon is not a standard, a tea or tablespoons is recognised the world over, members of this site moan about getting things right and then we get a measurement that is really unquantifiable, I'm sorry but you might as well say get a big spoon and chuck a big dollop in.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 10:38 PM »
Razor, I'm just about to try cooking this up and the first thing that I get is Chef's spoon, I'm sorry but please put any measurements in the recognised amounts , a chef spon is not a standard, a tea or tablespoons is recognised the world over, members of this site moan about getting things right and then we get a measurement that is really unquantifiable, I'm sorry but you might as well say get a big spoon and chuck a big dollop in.

1 x Chef spoon = 4 x (15ml) Tbs

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 11:20 PM »
4 tbsp = 1 big dollop

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:48 AM »
4 tbsp = 1 big dollop

We appear to share the same gene that codes for humour, Stephen : my father always said that "Taylor" was really a Scottish surname  ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 11:24 PM »
Hi Thai Expat,

members of this site moan about getting things right and then we get a measurement that is really unquantifiable,

Sorry to be a bit vague.  1 chefspoon equals about 4 tbs for solids and about 2 tbs for liquid, well it does in my house anyway.  Most chefs spoons are more or less the same world wide, give or take a few mil so I wouldn't get too hung up about it.  If you've got one of those big cooking spoons, then that's pretty much a chefs spoon, and is what I refer to!

tablespoons is recognised the world over

True but a US tbs differs to a uk tbs by 5ml, so perhaps in future, I should post in weights rather than volumes?

Hope that helps,

Ray ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes