Author Topic: My first post  (Read 3141 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
My first post
« on: January 09, 2011, 02:11 AM »
Hi parker-21
Having read most of posts on curry base, I would say some are quite near the mark as makes no difference for today's basic gravy. But some of the technique seems to be missing, a bouquet garni for instance, if you ask a Bengali cook if he uses one, he'll probably tell you to put a sock in it... YES I really have seen a sock being used as a spice infuser, but muslin cloth is more common. I have a little Tea ball infuser which is a bit battered but works great.

There doesn't seem to be any mention of grinding the finished base (unless I've missed it) this has always been done as far back as I can remember. Grinding or passing it through a sieve gathers all the unwanted pulp, onion fibres/skin, pips and seeds etc. leaving you with the smooth BIR textured sauce.

The importance of the grinder, if your trying to emulate the curries of the 60/70/80's
in those days, every BIR and TA would have two or three whole chickens boiling away in the curry base brew!

They would fish out the overcooked chicken at the end, literally falling apart, leaving lots of bits and pieces behind.
Once put through the grinder the base was ready to go!  This was a real "curry secret" which meant all the vegetarian's of the time weren't, if they liked a good curry that is!

Maybe this is the taste you have in your memories of those times?
I still know the old school flavour, but I've never liked the smell, taste or texture of boiled chicken. :P

oh memories, a simple plate of Juicy Tandoori Chicken, before Pataks took over the world.

cheers ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: My first post
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:59 AM »
Good morning CT :

... But some of the technique seems to be missing, a bouquet garni for instance, if you ask a Bengali cook if he uses one, he'll probably tell you to put a sock in it
This would presumably be what Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi refers to as Potli ka Masala, and I have used one, in a pulao rice where it is important to try to keep the rice free from contamination, but never in a curry.  Would the Bengali chefs you know use them in main dishes too ?

There doesn't seem to be any mention of grinding the finished base (unless I've missed it) this has always been done as far back as I can remember. Grinding or passing it through a sieve gathers all the unwanted pulp, onion fibres/skin, pips and seeds etc. leaving you with the smooth BIR textured sauce.
When you speak of "grinding", is this the same as liquidising/blending, or is it a different technique ?  Sieving I understand, but have never gone to the bother since after liquidising there seems to be nothing left to strain.

oh memories, a simple plate of Juicy Tandoori Chicken, before Pataks took over the world.
My first experience of Tandoori Chicken was at the Agra, Whitfield Street (Euston, London), and the place was packed out every night with students from UCL.  It was so good that my girlfriend and I went back there every Saturday night week after week after week.  The Agra was really something special in those days : I even saw them serve a Biriyani with gold and silver foil on top, something I have read about but never seen in any other restaurant.  Oh happy days indeed ! (This would have been about 42 years ago).

** Phil.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Hi parker-21
Having read most of posts on curry base, I would say some are quite near the mark as makes no difference for today's basic gravy. But some of the technique seems to be missing, a bouquet garni for instance, if you ask a Bengali cook if he uses one, he'll probably tell you to put a sock in it... YES I really have seen a sock being used as a spice infuser, but muslin cloth is more common. I have a little Tea ball infuser which is a bit battered but works great.

The importance of the grinder, if your trying to emulate the curries of the 60/70/80's
in those days, every BIR and TA would have two or three whole chickens boiling away in the curry base brew!

They would fish out the overcooked chicken at the end, literally falling apart, leaving lots of bits and pieces behind.
Once put through the grinder the base was ready to go!  This was a real "curry secret" which meant all the vegetarian's of the time weren't, if they liked a good curry that is!

Maybe this is the taste you have in your memories of those times?
I still know the old school flavour, but I've never liked the smell, taste or texture of boiled chicken. :P

cheers ;D

Welcome chewytikka ;) You sound well informed, could an old sock be  ;)the missing ingredient  :D
Seriously though where have you gained your experience from ? Did you work in a Indian Restaurant or T/A in the 60's ?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:24 AM »
chewytikka,

real good nice post - big welcome to you.

all very interesting and sitting well with me.

just for my own interest is your recollection of the old school flavour that you would be hard pressed to guess chicken cooking had taken place in the base. my recollection of the taste of the finished curry was that you would swear blind that no chicken was present. i have had one go in the past (currytester) at putting the chicken in but it was so overpowering that it ruined the dish. it put me off trying further.

i do have some liquid from par boiling chicken in the freezer and intend to try in base soon (idea from a post by jb).

best wishes,

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:30 AM »
Hi Jerry,

i use 2 knorrs chicken stockpots per 1 litre of water. seems to do the trick for me.

regards

Alan ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:10 AM »
Hi Chewy, nice post.

I have to say, that using spice infuser is not new to me.  I have been doing it for a very long time when I used to use the Kushi Balti base http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4283.0  I didn't have a spice ball nor muslin cloth, so I use nylon stockings ;D  Just cut off each leg what you need, put in the whole spices, then tie a knot at either end.  Works a treat.

I'm also confused with your reference to grinding, and like Phil, I assume you mean liquidising?  If that is the case, I think every base recipe on cr0 requires you to liquidise the base?  Could you just clear up, exactly what it is the you mean by grinding?

Many thanks,

Ray :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:24 AM »
monster,

many thanks - have added to my todo list and will try out. for the modern day curry i am very happy as is. for the 70's curry though it's well worth a try.

razor,

i take it to mean a final blend or sieve at the end of cooking.

on a general note i think it depends on how good the blending is at the 1st stage blend. i think this is where the recommendation to allow the base to cool before blending comes from although i must admit i don't bother but the veg really must be melt in the mouth to get a proper result.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 07:33 AM »

Sigh.  I took a friend to what had been the best Indian restaurant in Tunbridge Wells on Saturday, and ordered the Tandoori Mixed Grill (amongst other thing).  The Tandoori Chicken was moist, but that was about all that could be said in its favour : no flavour worth speaking of, no colour; all in all, the meal was not the best use I have ever made of

©2024 Curry Recipes