Author Topic: Curryheads "Madras 2011"  (Read 127113 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curryheads "Madras 2011"
« Reply #270 on: February 11, 2011, 01:37 PM »
Hi

As you are talking about chilli powder types:

It was the heaped tablespoon of Kashmiri Chilli powder in the Zeera Madras (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5376.0) that gave me the hallelujah moment!  ;D

Instant biting radiant heat goodness & the BIR chilli flavour  :P , just like the best BIR's

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20 PM »
A question (well 2 actually)

Given the level of oil in the base - how long do you reckon it would keep in the fridge? - do you think it would keep longer than other bases?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 17, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Given the level of oil in the base - how long do you reckon it would keep in the fridge? - do you think it would keep longer than other bases?
Mine is now probably a couple of weeks old (I'd have to check back on the date of my first report to be sure) and there are no signs of mildew or anything else that might cause me to worry whether it was still safe to use.  Having said that, my g/g mix is now about a month old, and still doing fine ...

** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2011, 05:39 PM »
Phil that's excellent news which means that mine at 6 days old is still pretty fresh!!!!!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Odd failure this evening
« Reply #274 on: February 20, 2011, 10:16 PM »
I have been experimenting with the Taz base that lies at the heart of Madras 2011, and yesterday made a KD1/PT Madras using it, which was fine except for the fact that I overdid the chat masala and therefore skewed the taste a little.  This evening, with only 1 portion (450ml) of base left, I decided to re-visit the original Madras 2011 recipe in the light of my earlier experience with it.  I reduced the tomato puree content from 2 tablespoons to 1, increased the salt content to 1/2 teaspoon, and replaced the "mix" by Bassar Curry Masala (still adding the extra chilli as per recipe).  As before, I reduced the first batch of base + spices until the spices started to singe, then quickly added the lemon juice, chicken and remaining stock, and then reduced until the desired consistency had been achieved.  But when I came to try it, it was definitely disappointing : it needed more salt, which was easily rectified, but far more importantly, there was something "wrong" with the sauce : it just didn't look or taste right, and the texture left a great deal to be desired.  What seemed to be missing was the "flocculated" element from the texture : it was just too homogeneous, too smooth, yet at the same time too cloudy.  I wonder whether this might be because I strained the base after my first attempt, to remove the excess ginger content ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:15 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 20, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Hi Phil,

It's hard to say really, what could have gone wrong.  When you portion up your base, I assume you gave it a good mix before batching it?  Guess what I'm saying is, could the last of you base be the last one that you actually portioned up, therefor, having a much greater oil content than the previous portions?

This wouldn't explain the uniformed texture though, if anything, it would be more flocculated than normal.

Sorry Phil, I'm stumped!

Ray :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 20, 2011, 10:46 PM »
No, there was no "portioning", Ray : all went into a large ice-cream tub from which I withdrew 450ml at a time after giving it a good stir.  It is probable (I am relying on memory) that after my first attempt at Madras 2011, and after my straining of the base that I think followed that first attempt, all subsequent dishes have had garlic/ginger paste in them with the sole exception of this evening that just had the 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic specified in the recipe.  It may well be, with the benefit of hindsight, that it is the garlic/ginger paste that normally contributes the flocculated texture to non-Taz-base curries, and by straining out the ginger content, Taz's no longer has enough ginger to flocculate without adding g/g paste at the final curry stage.

** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 20, 2011, 11:16 PM »
Hi Phil,

I would have thought the spices would add some flocculation to the finished curry but garlic and ginger paste definitely do help in this area.

Incidentally, I only ever use garlic and ginger paste in my curries now I've worked out how to blend it without it turning green after a day or so.

Ray :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 24, 2011, 08:58 PM »
So this evening I took the remains of the very poor sauce from my previous attempt (I always make an excess of sauce, so there is always plenty left over) and used it to make another "Madras 2011".  But this time I first gently fried about 1 tablespoon of garlic/ginger paste in a little oil, then added the left-over sauce, brought it to a gentle simmer, added some pre-cooked chicken, cooked and stirred until it was nearly ready, then stirred in some chopped coriander stalks.  What a difference : a superb example of a Madras, and definitely "moreish".  So I now feel confident that texture is vital in re-creating the authentic BIR Madras, and a part of that texture comes from garlic & ginger paste (or from garlic and ginger in the base sauce) and from coriander stalk added for the last couple of minutes.

** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Incidentally, I only ever use garlic and ginger paste in my curries now I've worked out how to blend it without it turning green after a day or so.
Not quite sure what you meant by this bit, Ray (did you not use garlic & ginger paster before you could stop it turning green ?) but for me the colour is immaterial : mine is now about a month old, has never been frozen (just lives in the 'fridge) and is a pleasant yellow colour : I used some last night, and could taste nothing untoward at all (and I don't have food poisoning today !).  So I am inclined to suggest "forget the colour : just make sure it hasn't started to fester"  :)

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes