Author Topic: Taste Variation  (Read 11390 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Taste Variation
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 05:58 PM »
And back on track...  ;)

Yes, I do luv my Mr naga - made my beans on toast amazing!, but I am talking about variation of standard recipes.

This is what i do Dajoca. If i'm cooking a few curries, i'll cook each one with a different mixed powder so its not just a madras, a madras with coconut, a madras with lentils. . .etc.   

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8687.msg77246.html#msg77246

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 06:20 PM »
meggeth,

it's a really good question.

one thing that really sticks out for me in the dishes i cook often and feel have no improvement is that they taste so different yet have the same basic ingredients. it really is magic.

i think it's purely down to us not knowing the full recipe. i have what i call recipe refinement as a top priority - to make the same dish over and over during a weeks curry cooking and compare to the BIR equivalent. there is still much to do.

i use admins jalfrezi. i like the ashoka bhuna but it's not right. i've never got rogan josh right.

the future is our only hope - the more people trying to crack the remainder of the jig saw the better.

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 07:18 PM »
And back on track...  ;)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8687.msg77246.html#msg77246

Interesting Dalpuri - I've just read through that topic, and now I will have to get some deggi mirch - never used it, but it sounds like something that might add something different. My normal chilli seems to be quite hot, so when I make a curry that says medium, it is usually quite hot, so this may add some variation.

Cheers!

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Interesting Dalpuri - I've just read through that topic, and now I will have to get some deggi mirch - never used it, but it sounds like something that might add something different. My normal chilli seems to be quite hot, so when I make a curry that says medium, it is usually quite hot, so this may add some variation.

Cheers!

Or you could make your own?
It's basically Indian paprika.

Maybe try half and half kashmiri and paprika with some chilli powder, or favour the kashmiri.

e.g.
6 kashmiri
4 paprika
1 chilli powder

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 07:47 PM »
Going to see if they have any at the Indian shop next time I go. They usually have lots of east end stuff, so hopefully they will.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 09:41 PM »
Going to see if they have any at the Indian shop next time I go. They usually have lots of east end stuff, so hopefully they will.
Deggi Mirch and Kashmiri Mirch tends to more readily available in boxes made by MDH.  I've only ever seen kashmiri mirch in a standard packet once, made by some obscure company, so i gave it a wide berth :o
Deggi mirch tends to be a bit hotter than normal chilli powder and has an intense red colour.  Kashmiri is redder still but is milder in heat.  Whilst they may make a difference to the taste and colour of your dishes, I believe they would not be common place in the BIR kitchen due to the cost.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 10:32 PM »

Deggi mirch tends to be a bit hotter than normal chilli powder

Hotter???  :o  You must've had a hot batch because generally its mild to medium. I would place it in between Kashmiri and chilli powders for heat levels.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 10:54 PM »

Deggi mirch tends to be a bit hotter than normal chilli powder

Hotter???  :o  You must've had a hot batch because generally its mild to medium. I would place it in between Kashmiri and chilli powders for heat levels.
Let's see what other say Frank ;).  My understanding has always been as i stated: deggi mirch is normally hotter as well as redder than normal chilli powder.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 11:10 PM »
Let's see what other say Frank ;).  My understanding has always been as i stated: deggi mirch is normally hotter as well as redder than normal chilli powder.

I would say "Hotter than Kashmiri, not as saturated a colour as Kashmiri, no real reference to judge against in terms of "normal chilli powder", by which I think you mean "normal ground chillies", as opposed to "chilli powder" which is normally a spice blend intended for "chilli con carne" and the like.

** Phil.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 11:15 PM »

I would say "Hotter than Kashmiri, not as saturated a colour as Kashmiri, no real reference to judge against in terms of "normal chilli powder", by which I think you mean "normal ground chillies", as opposed to "chilli powder" which is normally a spice blend intended for "chilli con carne" and the like.

** Phil.
Chilli powder as we, wannabe curry chefs, understand it on here Phil. The likes of which are produced by mssrs East End, Rahja, TRS etc.  I don't think i've come across a recipe yet that says "1/2 tsp of ground chillis.  It normally just say "1/2 tsp chilli powder"  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes