Author Topic: Similarities in recipes, spice mix's and therefore tastes?  (Read 5634 times)

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Prologue:
I've made the SNS base twice now, with all the dishes from my first go tasting wonderful  (though seemingly better than those from my second batch).
1st batch made using White Pearl mild curry powder, as it was all I could find and the second batch made using the Rajah mild madras curry powder, having finally found a seller.
The White Pearl powder has a much lighter and more pleasant aroma than the Rajah which possesses a much darker(?) smell.
I subsequently tried the Taz base and have been using the recipes for that base posted by Stephen Lindsay.

The Chicken Ceylon - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8145.msg71760#msg71760 in particular, was a very nice dish, with the mellow taste of coconut and the sharpness of the lemon juice contrasting nicely.

The question I have though (finally) regards the other 3 dishes I found.
Chicken Madras - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8088.msg76754#msg76754

And particularly between
Chicken Jalfrezi - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5429.0
Garlic Chilli Chicken - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7446.0

The initial method, tomato paste, GG, Methi and BE spice mix are all very similar, so while there is some variation with the amount of garlic, pepper, chilli pepper and onion, will the resulting dishes not all taste remarkably similar?

I've really only just started cooking BIR curries, so please forgive a n00b for his impudence, but if the base and basic ingredients are the same, does the spice mix not need to vary in order to truly differentiate between the dishes?

I wonder if anyone here has cooked the same dishes with the same base, but used a different spice mix each time, or maybe used a single different spice (brand of curry powder?) and noticed a significant difference?

Maybe that should be my next experiment.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Similarities in recipes, spice mix's and therefore tastes?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:41 PM »
The question I have though (finally) regards the other 3 dishes I found.
Chicken Madras - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8088.msg76754#msg76754

And particularly between
Chicken Jalfrezi - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5429.0
Garlic Chilli Chicken - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7446.0

The initial method, tomato paste, GG, Methi and BE spice mix are all very similar, so while there is some variation with the amount of garlic, pepper, chilli pepper and onion, will the resulting dishes not all taste remarkably similar?
I pulled the two lists of ingredients into Excel and manipulated them until they appeared in the same order, and I have to say, I think that you are quite right : they /are/ remarkably similar.  But whether the resulting dishes taste nearly the same, or similar, or completely different, I cannot say : I leave that to the author(s) of the recipes.

** Phil.
--------
1 portion of pre-cooked chicken1 portion of precooked chicken
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:35 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:46 AM »

I've really only just started cooking BIR curries, so please forgive a n00b for his impudence, but if the base and basic ingredients are the same, does the spice mix not need to vary in order to truly differentiate between the dishes?

This is what i do Dajoca. If i'm cooking a few curries, i'll cook each one with a different mixed powder so its not just a madras, a madras with coconut, a madras with lentils. . .etc.  ;)

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Hi Dajoca,

Yes, you would think that two dishes with similar ingredients would turn out pretty much the same wouldn't you? However, the length of cooking each component receives, the size of each component, the quantity of each component will all make subtle differences to the end result. 

A pinch of sugar here or a sprinkle of salt there, again help determine the end result.

Here is a little experiment to prove the point;

Take;

Half a tomato
half an onion
1 clove of garlic
1 cm x 1 cm of fresh ginger
1 tbsp of oil

Finely chop the tomatoes and onions
crush the garlic and ginger to a pulp and mix together
next. heat the oil and fry all of the ingredients on medium heat for 5 minutes.

Now, with the same ingredient;
slice the tomato and onion
slice the garlic and Julienne the ginger,

Heat the oil on high and when very hot, add all the ingredients and fry hard for 3 minutes.

Same ingredients but the outcome of each will be very different!

I hope that kind of explains what I mean? ???

All the best,

Ray :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:12 PM »
does the spice mix not need to vary in order to truly differentiate between the dishes?

really good post. i don't think we fully have the answer.

i have 13 mains that i make of which i use same mix for 11 off. the dishes don't taste anywhere near the same but the recipes are different.

this is the recipe i use for jalfrezi which might help the comparisons (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2664.0.html).

not found a garlic chilli recipe yet.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 06:23 PM »
I think we do have the answer. Numerous eyewitness reports and videos showing BIRs using the same spice mix powder across many dishes whilst somehow producing food which doesn't taste the same. So no, I don't think you do necessarily need a different mix powder to produce different tasting dishes.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 09:53 PM »
I think we do have the answer. Numerous eyewitness reports and videos showing BIRs using the same spice mix powder across many dishes whilst somehow producing food which doesn't taste the same. So no, I don't think you do necessarily need a different mix powder to produce different tasting dishes.
Find myself agreeing with you Chris.  Change the order of ingredients, swap garlic and ginger puree for fresh sliced garlic, reduce tomato puree and add a bit of fresh tomato, add green peppers at the beginning instead of half way through etc. etc.  The connotations are many.  I've been cooking chewy's madras a lot lately with minimal variation in technique but adding things at different times and making subtle changes to the ingredients as mentioned above.  What a difference these subtle changes make :o ::) I've a considerable amount of experimenting still to do before all my questions are answered.  And i don't eat madras!!!!!  But this curry is definitely growing on me and i'm learning a lot from cooking it.  After 30 years of eating vindaloo and a lot hotter, i'm beginning to think i've eventually lost the plot :o ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 11:15 PM »
What I understand is that each BIR will have it's own set of basics, base, spice mix, etc. All designed to work with each other and all designed to allow the chef to create individual dishes. The problem as has always been the case here, is that we try different bases with different spice mixes, that will always lead to a different outcome. I only have to point to the Kushi spice mix to show how different these components can be.

If the question is, do you need a different spice mix for different dishes, than I will agree with NJ, no you don't, but you do need to stick the original recipes as they were designed.

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 03:46 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I will certainly give the different techniques / order of ingredients a go.

My problem with the taste test, is that I almost never fully enjoy any meal once straight after cooking it, whether it be Indian, Chinese, Chilli or Pizza (That's all the essential food groups covered I think).

Must be due to being immersed in the smells and flavours of the cooking, so my ability to discern the subtle differences so soon after cooking is just FUBAR, not very good.

Off to try a new Madras with the remaining Taz base this evening.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 04:56 PM »
I know where you are coming from Dajoca,

Sometimes after cooking for my clan, I really can't be bothered to eat what I have just prepared, so I leave a portion for me in the fridge for the next day and to be honest it tastes so much better.

Whether it has amalgamated and gathered more flavour overnight in the fridge or whether it's because my nostrils and taste buds have recovered to a normal(ish) level, I guess I will never know :)

©2024 Curry Recipes