Author Topic: Three baltis  (Read 253110 times)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Three baltis
« Reply #390 on: December 02, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Great stuff! Be interesting to see the hue of the bass.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 09, 2014, 03:50 AM »
Bob. Do you get a slight hint of cinnamon when you have a triangle balti? Had the same thing at both Adils and Saleem's.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 09, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Bob. Do you get a slight hint of cinnamon when you have a triangle balti ?
No experience of "triangle baltis" (the "triangle" didn't exist when I was a regular visitor to that area) but there was a definite tang of cinnamon in the mutton masala I had in Abu Dhabi last week; also ginger, garlic, onion, chilli, indian bay and other unidentified spices.

** Phil.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 09, 2014, 10:50 PM »
I still suspect there is a fundamental difference in the base.

Whole spice in some way would fit with this.

I hope for a trip with the dream of tasting pukka base.

Just the chef masala from the adil was a real eye opener though and bob our only hope of getting a few extra pointers though. 

Having said that our recipe that I make of the adil chicken balti takes some beating.

The only real thing left to crack for me is the stock for the meat balti. I have those rams head stock cubes that I use all the time in none curry ( the 32 off in a packet reducing fast) yet still don't have the confidence to try in curry.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 10, 2014, 04:08 AM »
Have you cracked the adils replica then Jerry?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 10, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Yes. Several members all contributed to it earlier in this post. There is an "adey" video in the post which is the starting point

The crux outstanding being stock which is used in meat balti and the base which we don't know anything about. Using a BIR base is pretty good but still short.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 10, 2014, 11:56 PM »
I tried the Adey version but was nothing like what I had at Adils although I can't remember what base I used which was most likely the key to its success.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 14, 2015, 04:40 PM »
After last years disappointment of the Adil, http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12276.msg110827.html#msg110827, I still held out hope for the Balti with a memorable one I had back in the mid 90's at Worcester (disappointing a year later though). So when an opportunity arose this week with some work in Birmingham, I planned a revisit. This time I tried the Al Frash and just to throw another one in to the mix in keeping with the threads title, I also got one from the well rated Shabab across the road. Chicken Balti (madras hot) and Chicken Bhoona Balti (madras hot) from the Al Frash and a Chicken Spinach Aloo (madras hot) from the Shabab. These were all takeaway and after a quick phone call to Chewy telling him to get some plates out, I set of on the 4 hour journey with the most delightful smells invading my nostrils and as I hadn't ate since the morning, I also had to resist the temptation to pull over and start although the 2 poppadoms that the Al Frash included got scoffed. Anyway 4 hours later I arrived at the Chewy's place to find some plain rice, crinkle cut chips and a home made Balti for comparison.  :)

Chicken Spinach Aloo Balti from the Shabab (madras hot)

Chicken Balti and Chicken Bhuna Balti (both madras hot) from Al Frash

Chewy's Chicken Balti

Three Baltis plated with samosas from Shamilee's in Leicester

Managed to squeeze in a bit of Chewy's Balti with the few remaining chips.

After not rating the Adil balti's, I have to say that I really enjoyed all of the Baltis from Birmingham and all were a hundred times better that the few I tried from the Adil. I couldn't notice any stock in these and looking at the left overs this afternoon after them being well chilled overnight, there was none of that jelly like consistancy that the one from the Adil had. The Chicken Spinach Aloo balti from Shabab's had very little base added to it and was more like a sag aloo with chicken added to it but very tasty all the same. Next came Chewy's which I thought was very good. Similar in taste but a lot stronger in flavour. Overall I would be happy to eat any off them again. The samosa was one from the selection of lovely vegetarian snacks that Chewy's friend brings back for him when he visits Leicester. I've tried them before when he last had them and they come with some tasty dipping sauces (the polystyrene tubs in the plated picture are the mediocre ones from Al Frash).

The lad that served me in Al Frash recommended Imrans which was were he ate so it on the list for next time I'm down there.

One thing that annoys me about the baltis is the portion size. The big cartons are only half full and every balti I brought back was over
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:38 PM by Gav Iscon »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 14, 2015, 05:33 PM »
Great report, Gav! I almost feel as if I was there - and the grub looks fantastic!

If only I lived a little closer to Brum, I'd definitely try those baltis (even if they were half-portioned!).

Perhaps Chewy will share his take on a Balti? It's bound to be a good 'un. :)

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 14, 2015, 05:42 PM »

Perhaps Chewy will share his take on a Balti? It's bound to be a good 'un. :)

+1

©2024 Curry Recipes