Author Topic: Should I pre-cook onions?  (Read 5972 times)

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
Should I pre-cook onions?
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:19 PM »
I seem to remember reading somewhere in the recesses of the forum about folk extolling the virtues of pre-cooking onions, I think for use in the actual curry cooking process (can't quite remember). Any thoughts on this?

Richard.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 12:56 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-cooking onions
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 01:29 PM »
Hi RWR,

Maybe you're referring to blanching them to remove the acidity?

See here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1151.0

Or maybe you're referring to frying rather than boiling them (or both) when cooking the curry base?

See here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1095.msg9538#msg9538

Hope these help?

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 01:34 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 02:29 PM »
Eek, I may have read the first one perhaps ('Blanching Onions'). I think I've just seen pre-cooked onions mentioned in some of the longer posts.

Did you have any further experience in this department yourself after the second link/thread 'To Fry or Not to Fry' seemed to come to an end (somewhat unconclusively)?

Cheers,

Richard.

Offline VeggieNeil

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 06:57 PM »
I have just made a tikka marinade using raw onions and when cooked all I seemed to taste was an overwhelming bitter taste. Could this be from not blanching the onions prior to whizzing the marinade in a food processor?
VN

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 09:19 PM »
I have just made a tikka marinade using raw onions and when cooked all I seemed to taste was an overwhelming bitter taste. Could this be from not blanching the onions prior to whizzing the marinade in a food processor?
VN

I might be able to help a bit here due to bitter experience (no pun intended  ;D )
I tend to make authentic curries rather that BIR style and in my early days used to try and find shortcuts to reduce prep time.
One of those was to liquidise onions in a food processor..bad move..bitter taste, not unrecoverable I found out, just takes a bit more gentle cooking.
I have come to a conclusion, if doing authentic curries when the recipe says finely choped, do just that, use a good knife or be very delicate with a food processor using the pulse function.
If you are doing BIR style it involves making a base gravy which is a pre-cooked combination of onions, garlic, ginger etc. which is then liquidised after cooking..result no bitter taste.
So yes, pre-cooking is the secret if doing BIR stuff, or chop it if doing traditional stuff.
Just my observations  8)

Jethro

Offline VeggieNeil

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 10:24 PM »
Thanks Jethro I thought it was the raw onions, I usually pre cook my onoins for my BIR base but tried a shortcut this time for a quick marinade never again  ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 07:42 PM »
Without going into the science of it - well I can if you want but I know there is an aversion to science here  ::) - onions produce sulphuric acid when cut. The more you cut them the more acid you make. Puree them and, well, you can guess the result. Don't puree/blend raw onion.

Offline salleo

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 12:43 AM »
hi there, just joined and I love the site. On pre cooking onions, never puree them until you are ready to use them as they will turn a greenish colour and taste bitter. Also a pinch of sugar in the hot oil, before you add the blended onions will avoid the bitter taste. good luck

©2024 Curry Recipes