Author Topic: The Curry Book  (Read 69566 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
The Curry Book
« on: January 01, 2008, 05:18 PM »
I just found this:

http://www.thecurrybook.com

Again, as with all these sites, auctions and what have you, they all make out it's the real deal. Thjey all know what we're looking for, but it seems that 99% disappoint with the delivery,  and may be just out to make money, starting with Pat Chapman. At least the Kushi Balti people told us the name and address of their restaurant, even if the recipes were not the great breakthrough we are looking for.

Regards
George

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Curry Book
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 05:28 PM »
Did you know this is Andy, from the RCR site?

Offline fumble

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 05:44 PM »
What a surprise. I did wonder if it was genuine, as there is no mention of who the authors are or what the name of the restaurant is.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 06:11 PM »
Did you know this is Andy, from the RCR site?

Ah, that may explain it then! I have my views but had beter keep them to myself, unless given full clearance to speak our minds.

Regards
George

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 08:29 PM »
Hey guys, what's happening?

Is this book written by a member of another forum then?

Is it just another scam?

Has anyone read the ebook or looked at the recipes?

Is it worth getting?
... or is everything about this ebook not a topic of discussion on this forum ???

More info please ...

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 08:55 PM »
Hey guys, what's happening?

Is this book written by a member of another forum then?

Is it just another scam?

Has anyone read the ebook or looked at the recipes?

Is it worth getting?
... or is everything about this ebook not a topic of discussion on this forum ???

More info please ...

I don't know what the content of this book is, but I believe it will contain extracts from the Real Curry Recipe website
This is run by a chap called Andy who originally posted on this site
Check out the "ten year" recipes here
There was a degree of doubt over the facts that he posted
He said he had worked in a restaurant for ten years and was sharing the recipes from that place.
However, a lot of the information seemed copied almost word for word from a previous curry article, already on the net by someone called "M"
This whole issue became a splitting point
Some people went to the other side
Some stayed here
Some check both

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 09:03 PM »

I think that's the general idea, purely because we don't want to give the edited for inappropriate language by CA free advertising.

BTW I'm told that the e-book will be distributed free in several places once it has been released in pdf form, although there's no guarantee, so you may want to hang back on buying it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 01:48 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 12:25 AM »
... we don't want to give the ----- free advertising.

I think this thread would be more likely to deter buyers. There's no way I'll be wasting my money. The curryhouse recipes were supposed to be the best developed over several years and then a subscription area came out for what is claimed are (suddenly) superior recipes. Now we have someone with a blistering array of different base sauce and recipes - not just the normal 3 bases, but several of EACH type. There's bound to be more for the book. Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense - it doesn't stack up as genuine, e.g, would you really expect a BIR to have different recipes for sit down meals and take-aways?

Regards
George
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:51 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 12:54 AM »
Thanks chaps. Got the message! ;)

Cheers

Best regards

SnS ;D

ps: My ebay Secret Indian Restaurant Curry Recipe + SPICES KIT & CD has been posted first class so I should have it by end of week ........

Offline Woks Up

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 03:23 AM »
Right then now for some more information and opinions

Heres another thread shedding some light on previous procedings http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1892.msg16344#msg16344

Andy used to post here from about october 2006 to february 2007.  His are the "10 years experience" recipes youll find here.  His recent recipes couldnt be more different of course duh?  ::)

He claimed that the recipes were from a yorkshire curry restaurant and takeaway that have been in business for over 10 years.  But he arrogantly never felt the need to substantiate his grandiose claims and to my knowledgde never has.  No photos, no videos, no restaurant addresses, nothing to substantiate his claims despite his promises to the contrary.

It was also the case that his recipes never looked anything like those from a typical bir.  Many experienced members here thought so and queried his claims.  In fact it looked very much like he copied one particular tomato/onion paste recipe from the natco web site (a recipe allegedly posted by a "M") and he still alledgedly copies other recipes, such as his garam masala recipe, from other sources such as madjhur jaffrey.  These seem like word for word copies.

His recipes have since turned tail more times, and more dramatically, than a stunt kite in a high wind i might add.  Just a little too implausible for an established restaurant or takeway I think.  Hes locked his website down tighter than a ducks bottom, with access permissions, seemingly on route to charging for access.  Why anyone would pay for his recipes though is beyond me.

Look.  Many people are happy with his recipes, whatever rubbish he throws out.  Then again, many of his members are from other parts of the world and wouldnt really know a proper bir curry if it leapt up and bit them in the proverbial backside.  He does get raptuous applause from these people for sure  ::)

He seemed to use this forum as a stepping stone to poach members from here on his way to seemingly hatching his master plan to make a money from curries (books, supply of spices, cooking classes, paid website access, VIDEOS too it seems? etc).  Nothing wrong with that but hes repeatedly denied it which makes him seem very dishonest and untrustworthy to me, if nothing else. 

But facts speak louder than words.  The best part of fifteen quid for an ebook???  :o

You have to register to download an alleged 8 page sample of the ebook  ::)  Maybe someone can post a copy here so we can all take a look at it and see the authors and address of the alledged restaurant ourselves?  We can then try it out.  We might be pleasantly suprised and i for one will need to eat my hat  ::)

As for voicing opinions on rcr, id love to but anything other than a "rah rah andy youre the best" gets greeted with infantile derision, insults and a ban  ::)

Go check it out for yourselves www.indian-recipe.org and see what you think. You might be utterly delighted with it, if youre from another country or planet or arent really interested in a proper bir curry or dont actually know what one is  ::)

Oh heres a photo of his chicken bhuna.  I dont know about you but i wouldnt be happy if my chicken bhuna turned out looking like that.  Hell i wouldnt even be happy if YOUR chicken bhuna turned out like that.  It was promptly deleted from rcr when some enlightened fellow pointed out that it looked pretty dreadful :P    Oh, and that member was promptly deleted too lmao.  Shame really I happen to think they were right in their opinion lol
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 11:51 PM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes