Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Discovery from Curryswede  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Tikka Discovery from Curryswede
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Original post from Curryswede

I have to share a discovery I made yesterday. I had some leftover Chicken Tikka with pieces of onion, peppers and tomato (marinated together with the chicken and cooked on the same skewer) along with some cooked basmati rice, so I decided to whip up a quick dinner using that so I could try out my deggi chili, and the results were amazing, among the best I've ever had actually.

Here's roughly how I did it:

I put a pan on medium heat, put in a tablespoon of oil.

Added about 2 tsp of tomato paste (double concentrate) and fried for about 1 min.

Added about 1 tsp of kushi spice mix and 1 tsp of Rajah Tandoori Masala, fried for about 10 secs, then added a small amount of water to avoid burning spices.

I fried for about 20-30secs, then I added one serving of chicken tikka with bite-size pieces of onion, red and green peppers and cherry tomatoes. (I used blade's tikka recipe but used yogurt instead of water)

Added about 0.5-0.75 tsp of deggi chili and stirred, then added about 1dl of water. (Only reason I added the chili at this stage is that i forgot about it earlier.)

I let it simmer for a while, then added some salt to taste, and then stirred in about 1dl of basmati rice.

The colour was an amazing tikka dark orange and the taste was phenomenal. I really think that deggi chili could be a major step towards achieving the IR taste that I know and love. (I won't call it BIR because I'm in Sweden and have never eaten at a BIR, lol)

You guys should really try out this recipe, it's super fast to make once you have the left over tikka and rice.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Discovery from Curryswede
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:04 AM »
Post from JerryM

curryswede,

i was really liking the recipe upto adding the 1 dl (presume double ladle) of water. i thought why not base?

then i think i've realise the rice connection - are u making a quick biryani.

there is a good post on the site http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2688.0 which i'm going to give a go when i get chance - biryani with a madras curry sauce, omelette, banana fritters being a real fav 

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:05 AM »
From Curryswede

The water was just added to prevent spices from burning and to provide a bit of moisture and to help heat the rice. Plus all my base is in the freezer and I didn't have time to defrost a bag. You don't have to add base to everything you make. 

I wasn't consciously trying to emulate an actual restaurant dish, I was just making some left-over stir-fry basically. But yes, I suppose the closest thing would be a biryani, which I've actually never had before.

If you watch Indian home cooking on youtube or whatever, water is very often used in this manner to make curries. 

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:06 AM »
From jerryM

curryswede,

i have no interest in curries with water (been brought up on BIR/IR/TA) but i would be interested in a quick way to get a sort of biryani and as others may have the same interest it's probably worth a new post to get additional views on the possibilities.

©2024 Curry Recipes