Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 252788 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2011, 01:43 PM »
Quote from: phil
I broke off one of the roots, and ate it -- it was almost completely tasteless....Has CA (and have others) actually used roots as opposed to (or in addition to) stalks, and if so, what is the received opinion ?

Hi Phil,

Yes, I generally use roots (otherwise stalks) in the base because:

a)  the roots are also full of flavour, albeit a little less flavoursome, and a little more sharp, than the leaves (I don't know why the roots you tried were "almost completely tasteless")
b)  I find that they are more "robust" than leaves and endure longer cooking better
c)  they don't impart a green colour to the base.  Perhaps not of great, practical, concern, but I prefer my base not to look green!
d)  I prefer to save the leaves for adding, at a late stage, to the final curry
e)  Most of the coriander I buy comes complete with roots and I don't like to waste anything!

Incidentally, I used to rip the roots off the coriander, in the market, until they put up a notice to say ($10/kg or $15/kg without roots!  Haha!)

PS:  Why do you (and one or two others) persist in changing the topic of a thread (apart from the fact that the software allows you to)?  It adds nothing but confusion, in my opinion.  Please don't do it.  :-\

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2011, 02:40 PM »
<on-topic reply>
Thank you, all noted.  I have kept the roots, and will try them next time.

PS:  Why do you (and one or two others) persist in changing the topic of a thread (apart from the fact that the software allows you to)?  It adds nothing but confusion, in my opinion.
Well, presumably the board authors thought that there was a need, otherwise they would not have provided the option.  I use it when I want to make it explicit that I am not discussing the thread topic in general, but rather one very small element of the topic that might (arguably) be better in a thread of its own.  Why others do it, only they can say.
Please don't do it.  :-\
"What is not explicitly prohibited is permitted" :)

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2011, 07:36 PM »
the coriander i buy has roots which taste brilliant.not nearly as good as the leaves tho i must add. i like to finely chop the roots and add it to the top of my curry along with the leaves as a garnish

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2011, 11:25 PM »
We use the roots , stalks and the leaves -
everyday use out here in Thailand the roots are smashed with a pestal and mortar in many dishes and the stalks and leaves are eaten just as they are - very good for health

In nearly all our curry dishes the coriander stalks and roots are liquidised and added as a tablespoon - it helps infuse the coriander into the dish

best, Rich

Offline CurryMan136

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 04, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Hi Cory

I made this today and it came out a treat! This was actually my first time doing anything with a curry and found it quite easy to follow.

I uploaded some pics of it in the forum here:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6133.0

Thanks for this amazing base :)

Offline suspire

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2011, 06:53 AM »
Just made the base and masalas.
Base smells wonderful.
Tomorrow spice oil and Vindaloo.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2011, 12:34 PM »
What splendid calligraphy !  Which pen and nib do you use ?  My machine-generated ones look very inferior in comparison ...
** Phil.
--------

Offline suspire

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2011, 06:43 PM »
The bottom one, Tandoori Masala, was done with the middle 3.5mm weight from this set by Yasutomo:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/yasutomo-calligraphy-marker-sets/

The top, Cory Ander Masala, was done with the 3.0mm tip of a Itoya:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/itoya-doubleheader-calligraphy-marker/

I prefer Staedtler Duo's over those two but I didn't have one with me:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/staedtler-calligraph-duo-markers/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:13 PM by suspire »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Nice -- I shall have to give them a try.  I have never used a calligraphic felt tip, normally using an Osmiroid fountain pen with a very broad oblique nib or a Platignum dipping pen with similar -- calligraphy with a felt tip will be a new experience for me !

** Phil.

Offline Mark One

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 16, 2011, 01:43 AM »
A big thankyou from me CA, I followed your recipe to a T and it turned out great. I have just cooked my first ever BIR curry with it (CK's Lamb Bhuna) and it has turned out absolutely perfect in every aspect.

I did carry on simmering the base after the blend for approx 30-45 mins, which gave me a slightly thicker base but its perfect for my taste as my fav local TA makes there curries slightly on the thick side which I prefer.

Thankyou so much for this recipe CA.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:54 AM by Mark One »

©2024 Curry Recipes