Author Topic: Using a Pizza Maker to Make Naan Bread?  (Read 16743 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Using a Pizza Maker to Make Naan Bread?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Don't think it'll much better [if at all] then your usual method CA just not hot enough.

The only other way Ive thought about before building a tandoor is to buy a el-cheepo electric oven from B&Q [or get my hands one on being thrown out] and disconnecting the regulator thermostat and safety stat, that would get hot enough i reckon.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 07:16 PM »
my takeaway uses what i can only describe as a water hose but a blue flame comes out instead of water, obviously its gas coming through and cooks them that way after he has stretched the dough, he then uses his brusk and brushes his garlic watery paste onto it, i see him making them all the time lol

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 02:57 AM »
So has anyone, apart from Haldi, tried one?

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 11:13 AM »
So has anyone, apart from Haldi, tried one?

dont look like it

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Im lucky to have a pretty good range cooker. The dial goes up to about 265 degrees which when you add in the fan effect takes it up to a comparible 290 degree non fan oven. I cook a lot of pizzas that I make from scratch and the cook in literally 5 minutes at that temperature. Rather than use a hot pizza stone I now prefer to use a pizza tray (metal corcle with holes in the bottom). I find this results in a base that is firm but not too crispy - think Dominos deep pan pizza.

I havent yet tried it with naan breads but I would imagine the conditions are very similar to a dedicated pizza oven. I'll make sure I give it a go in the near future and I'll post back my thoughts.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 12:17 AM »
That's good Chris, will be interested to hear of your results, I'm sure it will work just fine.

In this thread I'm specifically interested in using an electric pizza maker instead.  I can't see why it wouldn't work for naans and would like to hear from anyone who has tried one for that before I go out and buy one to see for myself.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 04:47 AM »
I too have no problems using my oven for both pizza or naan. I've measured temps (with an IR gun) of 720 fahrenheit (about 400 celsius?). I can actually get much higher temps than that by tricking the cleaning cycle, but at that point it becomes ridiculously hot. I cook a pizza in about 4.5 minutes and naan in about 90 seconds.

For me the stone is far superior to a tray of any sort. I like a very thin crispy layer on the bottom of my naan, like you would get off the clay wall of a tandoor.

I do mean to post a video one of these days....

-- Josh

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 05:00 AM »
Yes, I'm aware of, and have tried, most other techniques Josh

But I would like to hear from anyone who has tried an ELECTRIC PIZZA MAKER, to make naans, before I go and buy one!  ;D

As mentioned earlier, my current oven doesn't get hot enough (and I'm sure this will apply to others too).

(PS:  720F = 382C)

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Hi all,

I'm not the messiah where naan breads are concerned but i have managed after a lot of trial and error to get a very acceptable result using a pizza maker, i still want a tandoor oven but for now this method does it for me.

I've tried all the other methods with yeast and without, splash guard over a gas ring, upturned tava plus grill and bake stone in the oven but for me the pizza maker produces reproducible consistent results.

I have tried mixing my naan dough by hand which i'm sure is what the BIR's would do but the results were always disappointing (heavy and stodgy with a sour yeast after taste) i.e Dips method, which probably works better with a clay oven than his video shows.

In the end i found that a breadmaker machine using very precise measures of ingredients made a soft pliable dough which when left to rise (in the breadmaker) and turned out onto a floured silicon sheet, without punching it down or reworking it and left for 10 mins to rise again.

Then the right amount was pinched out and rolled quite thinly, i've tried shaping by hand and that does work but it seems to puff up and blister quicker when rolled out.

So in a nutshell i don't think it's just the pizza maker but a combination of correct recipe dough and making sure your baking stone is up to temp and more importantly seasoned (give it some abuse with pizza and flat bread for a while) else it will stick.

For the naan recipe i use and the method <a href="http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4610.0" target="_blank">CLICK HERE[/url]

God that was confusing and i wrote it  :-\

Oh well just my 2p's worth, Rob.

Offline surge

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 08:24 PM »
Hi Guys

I use a pizza tray to cook my nans in the oven much better than a oven stone plus the tray is non stick.
http://www.habitat.co.uk/fcp/product/browse/Pizza-oven-tray/962459

by the way i only paid 3 quid for my tray from wilkinsons store.

©2024 Curry Recipes