Author Topic: Chicken tikka and Tandoori chicken  (Read 22720 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken tikka and Tandoori chicken
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 04:03 PM »
jb,

sorry got ahead of myself. your right garlic does go in (and did the yellowie frozen block in the pic - ashoka g/g paste).

i'm defo cooking tonight. will let u know how it goes. so far i'm well impressed.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 10:53 AM »
had real good night last night - many thanks to jb for putting in the very welcome and appreciated effort.

the tikka is very refreshing and a quite a surprise. the best comparison i can put is the lasan which is amazing given the use of that pataks stuff. an even bigger surprise is that u would bet money there is no pataks in it.

this is real top notch tikka. it's not u're common BIR TA stuff. it's top restaurant quality.

does it beat the lasan - very close and some may prefer it. i like the fennel in the lasan.

for my taste i do feel there is too much (x2) mustard oil in the recipe and is probably down to an error in scaling the qty down from what's used in the restaurant (it may not of course and is exactly how the chef intends). money is a firm decider for me in terms of BIR practise and i can't see most BIR's wanting to use so much out the bottle.

i'd not used as much salt before and was pleasantly surprised that i did not feel thirsty which i expected. i think the extra salt improves the taste and will adopt this going fwd.

i like my lime juice which i use as std now for all tikka.

i do think this recipe gets u closer than i've got before in part to the BIR high street taste. i think the patak qty would need to increase to do this - but for me and obviously jb's chef this would spoil a fine delicacy.

i do like a little chilli lip burn which was not present - i achieve this by mixing lemon (lime) juice, salt, deggi mirch and chicken initially and leaving for at least 1 hr before adding the rest of the ingredient. just personal taste.

jb u're a star man - u may just have saved my patak jars from being chucked out

pics are here:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4976.msg47718#msg47718

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2010, 02:30 PM »
No probs I'm glad u enjoyed it!!!!  Have to say when I made it myself I thought it was on par and even exceeded some of the more average takeaways around here.Even my wife who is so fussy about Indian reckons it was lovely.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 09:38 AM »
thought it was on par and even exceeded some of the more average takeaways around here.Even my wife who is so fussy about Indian reckons it was lovely.

jb, totally agree. in short we too thought it was top notch.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 05:35 AM »
JB - I tried the Tikka tonight, for a CTM, and also the pre-cooked chicken for a Madras. I utilized the spice mix you got on your cookery class as well.

Extremely happy with both. Simple and great results. I plan on adopting both going forward. I particularly liked the fact that the pre-cooked chicken came covered in caramelized onion bits. This enhanced the Madras nicely.

Unfortunate this tikka missed the cut for the COTM. I've tried all of them, except the Madhur. This IMO ranks with the best of them.

I did however drop the mustard oil to half, and also heated it to smoking and left cool. This completely removed the pungency that turned me off the Lasan.

Great work.

-- Josh

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 12:55 PM »
Last night I polished off the remains of Friday night's takeaway(chicken tikka bhuna).I always get it from the same place and I've always thought it was really good.However I have to say in comparison with my recipe(and I suspect others on the site too)the tikka from the takeaway was bland and unimpressive.Not subtle flavour so it doesn't overpower the dish itself but really quite poor.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 05:27 PM »
I did however drop the mustard oil to half, and also heated it to smoking and left cool. This completely removed the pungency that turned me off the Lasan.

This heating of the oil to reduce its pungency is good advice. I might be wrong but I believe I was the first to suggest it (on this forum).

I take no credit though, it's a time honoured Indian technique. The thought of adding raw mustard oil to any dish makes me shudder!

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 06:54 PM »
I gave this a go
This is a lot closer to what I buy
Normally my home made tikka, is way too intense in flavour
This has a subtlety
It would work well in a curry, without taking over the flavour
Thanks JB
Below is the chicken tikka cooking

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Cheers for posting the recipe jb, i tried to get some mustard oil as well but got the stuff "for external use only" on the bottle didnt notice until i got home will be trying this recipe for sure.
Looks very tasty and bright.
hi jb keep it up you are nearly there ,the mustard oil you need KTC blended mustard oil,you need to put much more mustard oil as this then will be less thick of the pastes the pataks pastes are what are used in the take away i work in and if you want a base guravy to compare to your base then that would be no problem for me to send to you frozen of course and vacum packedl

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Cheers for posting the recipe jb, i tried to get some mustard oil as well but got the stuff "for external use only" on the bottle didnt notice until i got home will be trying this recipe for sure.
Looks very tasty and bright.
hi jb keep it up you are nearly there ,the mustard oil you need KTC blended mustard oil,you need to put much more mustard oil as this then will be less thick of the pastes the pataks pastes are what are used in the take away i work in and if you want a base guravy to compare to your base then that would be no problem for me to send to you frozen of course and vacum packedl

Many thanks it is indeed KTC I use from my local Asian shop.Would love to get hold of some of your base gravy!! It would be interesting to compare it to my own efforts...many thanks...

©2024 Curry Recipes