Author Topic: Pre-cooking chicken  (Read 4523 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Pre-cooking chicken
« on: January 06, 2011, 03:04 PM »
I have a remaindered free-range chicken in the 'fridge that is in urgent need of pre-cooking, and no stage-1 sauce in which to cook it.  As I cannot see that the little stage-1 sauce that KD recommends (4 tablespoons, from memory) can really make a great deal of difference, I am minded to simply pre-cook the chicken in onion, ginger, garlic, oil, stock and turmeric.  What do others think ? 

Answers needed urgently as I need to leave the house for a Chinese meal in Joy King Lau (Soho, London) at about 17:30 !

** Phil.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-cooking chicken
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 03:34 PM »
I think you have got it covered there Phil. With those ingredients and nice quality Chicken - it should still be delicious as long as its not overcooked.

cheers

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 03:48 PM »
I think you have got it covered there Phil. With those ingredients and nice quality Chicken - it should still be delicious as long as its not overcooked.

Thanks, SP!  In fact, the situation is not as grave as I feared : I have found a basin of pre-used pre-cooking sauce in the 'fridge which still smells completely fresh, so I have just finished skinning and jointing the bird and it is now gently pre-cooking.  Breathes sigh of relief  :)  But I shall try the non-sauce version in the future : I really cannot see that stage-1 sauce contributes a great deal that couldn't just as easily be obtained from fresh ingredients, unlike the final dish where the base sauce is absolutely vital.

** Phil.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Phil,

i find it's the method of cooking that's key as opposed to the cooking liquid. clearly adding "ingredient" to the cooking water does improve the overall taste though.

i use the ashoka marinade and add 4 tbsp of base before making good the required volume of cooking liquid with water  (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3189.msg28438#msg28438).

but you can (and i often do) cook it in just a little turmeric and water with surprisingly good result.

this is a decent link http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=64.0

for cooking i only half cover the chicken with the cooking liquid, then max simmer 5 mins with occasional stir once it's come to temp. must leave it to cool in the liquid.

add1: this is a good link. there is a bit by infindforu which i've adopted http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4972.msg47626;topicseen#msg47626

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 04:34 PM »
Ah, you leave it to cool in the liquid.  I religiously take it out (as I have today) but I have often wondered about leaving it in.  OTOH, I do immediately cover it with clingfilm, so not too much moisture should escape.  Leave it to cool in the liquid next time, maybe !

** Phil.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:35 PM »
hi guys i simply cook mine in turmeric and salt water, both are preservatives in their own right. i use a tbsp full of salt even for 1 breast and the chicken comes out very moisty  it s the salt that does it.
regards
gary :)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:51 PM »
Sometimes when I can't be bothered I just pre cook while getting everything else together by using a couple of tablespoons of a Pataks paste in water to cover the chicken. I am not proud of this but to be honest guests don't notice the difference. I've also done same with potatoes and once drained and dried in the air they are impossible not to nibble on. However if I was having a "proper" curry I would only use The Ashoka method hand mixed as per the recipe PP

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06 AM »
i just cook mines in a teaspoon of mild madras curry powder, i sometimes add a little red food colouring to give it a tikka like look as well.

the cooking it in curry powder is documented a few times on here, thats where i copied the idea from. it works well

©2024 Curry Recipes