Author Topic: Chicken Sagwala Kushi Recipe  (Read 10784 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Sagwala Kushi Recipe
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Image hosting by CR0.co.uk

I love this dish very tastey.

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Sagwala Kushi Recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 10:01 AM »
That looks really good, could I have the recipe please.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:24 AM »
Here we go extra
http://www.kushibalti.co.uk/recipe3.htm
And here is the base sauce recipe
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4283.0
Be careful when adding the spices i take the pan off the heat for about 3-5 minutes before adding the spices they burn very, very easily.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Hi UF,

I was surprised to see that this recipe differs quite a bit to the one they published in the Authentic Balti Curry book. I also noted that they mention it being the general balti version. I did the books recipe last night in the the ABC topic I posted, have you tied it as well? If so, how would you compare them?

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:38 AM »
Hi Axe i havent tried the King Prawn Sagawala from the ABC, will try it soon though and will get back to you.

Also can you see the pics of the Kushi recipes i did ?

With the two different recipes you can understand why if you order King Prawn its always quite expensive i thought it was because of the prawns  but its the amount of ingredients for just 1 person.

The taste i get from my Chicken Sagwala is like a "calmed down" version of a Jalfrezi but still with that green pepper and green chilli kick.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Now the bandwidth has reset the pics are now viewable. :)

I attempted a chicken sagawala yesterday, based on the books recipe again but replacing the spice mix with the IG mix. It wasn't too bad but not worthy of posting on here. The next time I do this dish, I will follow your example and try this one.

What I like about this dish, is that it is almost a one pot meal. Again last night, I made stuffed paratha to accompany it. They are so easy to do and will be working on other recipes to 'stuff' with. :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Again last night, I made stuffed paratha to accompany it. They are so easy to do and will be working on other recipes to 'stuff' with. :)
Do you make your stuffed paratha from scratch, Axe ?  I ask because I buy frozen parathas in bulk (less than GBP 4-00 for a pack of 20), and once they have part-crisped on both sides they are very easy to slit open (like a pitta bread, only even easier) and then shovel the stuffing on.  I really think of paratha as being like pappadom : far simpler to buy than to make !

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Phil, yes, I do make them from scratch. I've not tried frozen and can see the advantage of this, but I must say that they are very, very easy to make.

I simply take a measure of chapatti flour, half as much water and a pinch of salt. Mix, kneed for 3 mins, rest for 30 before rolling out and cooking or rolling out, stuffing, then cooking. Both with a brush of ghee. Delicious! Have a look at the video in my post here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5591.msg55076#msg55076

:)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 12:56 PM »
I simply take a measure of chapatti flour, half as much water and a pinch of salt. Mix, kneed for 3 mins, rest for 30 before rolling out and cooking or rolling out, stuffing, then cooking.
Now that is  interesting, because I had always understood that paratha were traditionally made with white flour, not with atta.  Have you tried with white, and if so, what differences did you notice ?

** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Hi Phil,

Now that is  interesting, because I had always understood that paratha were traditionally made with white flour, not with atta.  Have you tried with white, and if so, what differences did you notice ?

** Phil.

A paratha, is essentially a chapatti with added ghee.  You make up the dough (using Atta or wholemeal flour) in the same way as you would for chapatti, then brush with a liberal amount of butter ghee, fold in half, brush with ghee again, fold in half again, then roll out to a round about 3 - 5 mil thick.

Dry fry on a tava or non stick frying pan, on both sides until the familiar little blisters appear, then brush again with the ghee before serving.

The frozen ones that you mention, I have tried frozen before and they are very nice but the ones I've used are not really what I would describe as a BIR/TA paratha.  It's almost like a flaky pastry when cooked.

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes