Author Topic: Akash brand basmati rice, anyone used it?  (Read 19866 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Akash brand basmati rice, anyone used it?
« on: March 15, 2011, 03:15 PM »
Just looking at Basmati rice on the SpicesofIndia website: Akash Basmati

It seems to enjoy a large price advantage compared to all the other Basmati rices on that site.  Just wondering if that's a bad sign?!  Anyone used it?  What about other sources, do you buy 10kg of Basmati cheaper than

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Akash brand basmati rice, anyone used it?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 03:34 PM »
Also, would anyone recommend spices of india as a mail order spice supplier or are there better options?  Do you know which delivery service SOI uses as if it's Parcelforce that alone will be enough to persuade me not to bother! 

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 04:31 PM »
Hi natterjak

I used to use Spices Of India all the time, but have not needed to lately due to discovering some new local shops that sell most of the things they sell.

However, having ordered from SOI many times, I have never had a problem. Can't remember who their courier of choice is though, but its never been a problem in the past, always a prompt service delivered when expected.

You get free delivery for orders over 30 pounds, plus that means you only need to pay 1 pound for next day delivery.

Makes economic sense if you order a big bag or rice and several jars or pastes and or pickles in one go.

Not so economical if you just need 1 small bag of spice as delivery is flat rate of 5 pounds I think.

All the best

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 04:57 PM »
Another positive vote for Spices of India. If all you need is rice, and you don't have any local Asian shops around, I would recommend finding a big supermarket, as most of them tend to have an 'Asian' section that usually has big bags of rice.

I've bought the 'Gold' version of the below (5kg), which is about

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Hi Guy's,

When it comes to rice, I've bought some really expensive stuff and some real cheapo stuff too, with equally good and bad results.

My acid test is this, if it cooks in the rice cooker, without overcooking, then that's fine.  What I find is, most of the cheaper brand don't cook so well in the rice cooker, therefor, I have to cook them on the hob, testing, testing, testing, all the time.  I still get good rice, just a little bit more care is needed, that's all.

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Hi Natterjak, kike Ramirez i've tried the Gold XL from Tesco's if I recall. The rice is pretty good indeed.

Here's a topic that is a worthwhile read: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3487.0

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Thanks guys, and Axe that thread is quite illuminating.  Basmati buyer beware eh?

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 08:06 PM »
What about this, especially after reading the topic Axe linked?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00432JB9M/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21

Badshah Basmati rice has been aged for one year to ensure fluffy, elongated grains and improved separation. It is nurtured in the ?rice bowl? region at the foothills of the Himalayas where the unique soil and climate produce the world?s most splendid rice. Nourished by crystal clear snow fed streams and carefully harvested by hand, these long aromatic grains create a fluffiness and flavour which, when cooked, knows no equal. ;)

Good reviews for it too

Martin

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 10:49 PM »
Thought i'd bump another thread by using this one which i hadn't come across before.  Martinvic, thanks for your comments and the link as Badshah is the rice i have been using for .......mmmmmm  can't remember now but it's certainly a few years, and the same bag (25k - was a bargain when i bought it

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 09:19 AM »
Hi CH

Sorry, not sure about the particular brands you are asking about, but just in case wondered if you would be interested in any Tilda pure original basmatti rice?

I don't know if all Sanos are doing this deal but the 2 near me are selling 4Kg bags half price. Think they are down to 5.99 or something like that.

It certainly does make lovely plump separated rice!

©2024 Curry Recipes