Author Topic: Base Sauce Theory  (Read 9661 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Base Sauce Theory
« on: November 01, 2011, 06:28 PM »
 Hi all ,
I made my usual Saffron Base on Saturday but wanted some extra kick of some sort and decided to use the Bhaji Oil from my mini fryer as an experiment to see if this made any difference to the flavour, I only use this mini fryer  for cooking Bhaji's so 400ml went into the Base mixture also one extra bulb of Garlic plus my Spice Ball filled with Green Cardamom pods,Cloves,Cassia Bark,and Asian Bay Leaves.
I finished the Base and proceeded to make our usual Chicken Madras Curry's plus Bombay Aloo,Rice, etc.
I did expect a full flavour to our Curry's but to be honest it didn't taste any different to my usual Madras without all the extra ingredients  :o although very nice and as good as most of the local T/A it didn't have that really savoury flavour and the Aroma wasn't, what I expected either.However, I had some Curry left over and thought I would take it to work on Monday for lunch, so popped it in the Microwave for a few minutes and there it was ! That wonderfull BIR Aroma filling the canteen and many  comments from my workmates like ' what T/A did you get that from smells bloody lovely '  ;D
And the taste , 100% BIR and as good as any Curry I've had anywhere !
This flavour must have come from the Curry having time to ' Mature ' and the Spices pass all their flavour into the Curry so do the better T/A's make their Base ' in advance' and leave to increase it's flavour which then results in those really nice Curry's that become our favourite T/A's ? and at busy periods perhaps they haven't time to give their Base ' Standing Time' which then results in disappointing Curry's  :-\
This is only a theory of mine but that Curry was excellent.
I can't say to what amount the Oil and whole Spices played in the flavour but the flavour wasn't there when I first cooked the Curry's. ;)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base Sauce Theory
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:10 PM »
I have had so many experiences, like this
I have created an ordinairy curry, which I froze

Then I thawed it out, a week or so later,and it was a masterpiece
And I thought "how on earth did I do that?"

The flavours definitely develop, and aren't obvious at the time
It's not because of overexposure to cooking spices
This new flavour, really wasn't there, at the time of cooking
A part of it, is fresh coriander, sprinkled on warm curry
I suppose it cooks a little longer, in the carton, too
The rest is................ I really don't know
But I still reckon you need a savoury oil in the base

I had a madras curry, cooked in front of me, at a takeaway
The chef let me taste it before the carton was sealed
It was really dissapointing (but I didn't say)

I ate the curry, about four hours later ,and it had totally changed
It was brilliant

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 07:51 PM »
Thanks' for the reply Haldi, I freeze Base in T/A containers the Day after making it and possibly the freezing puts a stop to the change in flavour of the Base, my next experiment will be to keep some base in the Fridge for a couple of Days before I make my Curry and see what the outcome is,if it turns out anything like the Curry above I'll be well happy  :D

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 07:53 PM »
Hi emin-j try making your base as usual (with vegetable oil) then make your chicken madras using the oil from your deep fat fryer, giving time for the oil (bhaji oil that is) to reach a nice temp'. I generally use half the amount of oil if using "spiced oil" or "bhaji oil" when making a curry.

Offline hampshire hog

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:45 PM »
How bizarre

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:55 PM »

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:29 PM »
I believe Spiced Oil should make a difference to the flavour of a Curry and I have used it before in the Base and in the finished Curry but it seems it's this ' standing time ' that really brings out that BIR flavour and aroma.Could the ' Holy Grail ' really be down to the Maturing of the Base ? We seem to have tried everything else !
I think Haldi's post above say's it all  :)

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 09:35 PM »
i've used a base that was a week old (from the fridge). didn't make my curry taste any better tho :(
next on the list is spiced oil..79p from Aldi (I have shares in Aldi)
also,I find if i make a curry on the Friday and eat it both Friday and Sunday it definitely tastes far better on the Sunday.
Same happens when I buy one from local TA. I always leave it for a day to "mature"

Offline hampshire hog

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 09:44 PM »
Could the ' Holy Grail ' really be down to the Maturing of the Base ? We seem to have tried everything else !

I'm sure the secrets in the base somewhere!!!

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 11:04 PM »
Ok guys this is my opinion - and it works for me and its the way i make curries - and i have NEVER posted this anywhere - my SECRET!!!!

I cook a base - then let it stand all day - reheat the base to boiling before bed - next morning reheat to boiling again - let it stand to go cold - my base goes through this sometimes for 3 days definitely 2 days - then i cook curries or freeze the base. My curries are not watery and somewhere this week a comment was posted on my picture how the sauce is like velvet over the chicken - this is why!

Of course everyone makes their base there own way and its up to them - and no i don't hold with the nonsense of having the base on the side for 3 days and im going to get food poisoning - i am healthy never had ill effects from any curry - unlike the rubbish you can eat at a takeaway.

like i say i have been making curries this way for years and will keep doing so.

plus i always put a spoonful of cinnamon in the base - important!!!! Don't ask how much is a spoonful its usually half a  chefs spoon because of the amount of base

Best, Rich

©2024 Curry Recipes