Author Topic: Takeaway visit with answers  (Read 13549 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Takeaway visit with answers
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 03:39 PM »
All made perfect sense, and many thanks for researching and posting, but it raises one question that I meant to raise elsewhere but will ask here anyway : do others believe that Basmati rice varies significantly in quality, particularly w.r.t. the smell/aroma/bouquet once cooked ?  I ask because (a) I avoid Tilda like the plague, on the basis that I would be paying for the name rather than the quality, and (b) we are currently working our way through a 10kg bag of Lidl special, and when I cooked some absolutely plain the other night (boiled, steamed, no salt, no spices, no ghee) it had no distinctive aroma at all, whereas I am certain that good quality Basmati rice has a very distinctive (and pleasant) smell.  What do others think, and what is the general consensus as to the best brand for flavour and aroma ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:19 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Phil
You pay's your money, and takes your chance ;)
For me Tilda is the best that I've come across, I did try Lidels once and like you found it quite tasteless, Never used it again.
So Tilda's for Me, May be a bit more expensive but well worth it, IMO

HS

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 04:04 PM »
Hi Phil,

I've been using Tilda basmati rice for the last 2 years. When I cook it I normally just boil it without salt or spices. I can confirm that it has an excellent aroma when cooked this way. I usually soak then rinse before cooking.

It is very expensive (for rice) and I keep telling myself to buy the biggest bag as it works out far cheaper.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 04:10 PM »
Phil, I tend to take the same view as I take on wine, ie, that I'm happy for my palate to remain uneducated on the basis that if I develop a discerning palate I will then have to buy "the expensive stuff" in order to enjoy it.

On another note it strikes me while whandsy has such a helpful and forthcoming resource available we should probably pool our resources to come up with some further questions, to see what other BIR myths and legends can be either debunked or verified.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Great post Whandsy, thanks for that, cooking the base properly may be last piece for me.
ELW

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 04:17 PM »
All made perfect sense, and many thanks for researching and posting, but it raises one question that I meant to raise elsewhere but will ask here instead : do others believe that Basmati rice varies significantly in quality, particularly w.r.t. the smell/aroma/bouquet once cooked ?  I ask because (a) I avoid Tilda like the plague, on the basis that I would be paying for the name rather than the quality, and (b) we are currently working our way through a 10kg bag of Lidl special, and when I cooked some absolutely plain the other night (boiled, steamed, no salt, no spices, no ghee) it had no distinctive aroma at all, whereas I am certain that good quality Basmati rice has a very distinctive (and pleasant) smell.  What do others think, and what is the general consensus as to the best brand for flavour and aroma ?

** Phil.

Phil, this thread makes interesting reading -  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3487.0

And i think a good place to continue the discussion on the qualities and types of basmati rice rather than taking this thread off topic.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 05:21 PM »
Re : Basmati rice I watched a TV doc 18 months ago
It appears that the big supermarkets are selling some very low grade rice with a little of the good stuff in it (ripping us off) following the TV chefs using basmati.
25 years ago I had to use Asian shops for the Basmati all there was in the supermarkets was Patna or long grain and uncle Ben's
I always go where the asians buy theirs

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Reply for george's question about being in  top 20% of curries tried?

Sorry George i forgot to answer your question. Yes the curry was superb, it is local to my workplace, not home, so it's a relatively new find as ive only changed jobs 6 months ago. I have to say that the limited number of curries ive had from there have been that tasty that the takeaway would replace my own local takeaway if it was as convenient as ringing for one when hungry.

Wayne :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Wayne, just wondering where this place is? If its a good restaurant it might be of interest to another member should they happen to live in the area.

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 08:57 PM »
Hi natterjak,
Its a takeaway not a restaurant and not a large one at that, its near ashton in manchester and the proprietor is a client of mine through work so i cant give specific details as i'm sure you'd understand. The knowledge he's giving me is, as far as he's concerned, is for my benefit, however i truly believe we all have these quality takeaways on our doorstep, i certainly have one close by, but what i'm trying to get for members is the techniques / no "secret ingredient's" etc rather than the mecca of restaurants.
Does that make sense?
Wayne

©2024 Curry Recipes