Author Topic: IFINDFORU THE SECRET MIX POWDER EXPOSED  (Read 72829 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: IFINDFORU THE SECRET MIX POWDER EXPOSED
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2012, 12:50 PM »
quite a timely comment by ifindforu on the paprika.

a good while ago i saw paprika as key part of mix powder - it's gradually gone out of favour. the mouchak having none.

other night made a further 2 off ashoka jaipuri (4 off in total this week). i used my modified mouchak in 1 off dish (tgad & zaal combined garam, Nb still intend adding in the jalpur elements). the other dish i made using ifindforu's sample mix powder.

i aimed to make both dishes exactly the same and thought i did. one dish was slightly redder than the other and the one you would naturally pick or go for. it was empty first.

i now realise - down to the paprika - which i need to add back in - just a touch.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2012, 12:50 PM »
in short i've purchased japlur and eastern star from ifindforu.

i can't get anywhere near the quality having messed around with derivatives and done numerous side by side comparison.

having used tgad2007 and Zaal chef garam's in place of jalpur and building in the best of mouchak and ifindforu's 2 off posted mixes this is the the best mix i've got to:

obviously now i'm just going to replace chef garam as jalpur and the rajah curry powder with eastern star.

units
coriander 2
paprika 0.5
cumin 1
chilli 0.5 (might make 0.25)
turmeric 2 (might be zero depending on how much in the eastern star)
curry powder 10
chef garam 1

the aim is to get the smoothness and zing that i've previously experienced in the samples from ifindforu. the effect is difficult to describe other than by example - using sound - my mix is muffled whilst ifindforu's is crystal clear. the flavours seem to have the peaks in place as opposed to a top slice off mine.

this is not a sort all solution ie it's not the most important thing to get right. but if you're serious about getting that extra mile then it is.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2012, 05:00 PM »
I made a Dhansak last night using this mixed powder, which included the  eastern star and jalpur brands.
It was very nice but i dont think i'd want the flavour of the jalpur running through all my curries.
A Korma would suit, or any mild yellow type curry.

It's very similar to my own GM which is just a large bag of whole garam masala dried and ground.
Cardamom being over dominant for me in both blends (my GM and Jalpur), it's not my favourite spice  ;)

Frank.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:23 PM by DalPuri »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2012, 07:37 PM »
DalPuri,

interesting result. i very much agree the jalpur is really strong tasting and that cardamom is very dominant.

once in the mix powder it blends in very well and i don't get the jalpur standing out in the curry or wet finger tasting the mix powder.

proportions are key and if you're already happy then i find myself it's very difficult to change.

for info i'm currently at:

coriander 2
paprika 0.5
cumin 1
chilli 0.5
turmeric 2
eastern star 10
jalpur 1

i've just cooked 19 off curries since adopting the new powders. down to using ifindforu's base i've not used rec oil and these curries were very very good even without the rec oil. 5 off were the best i've made.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2012, 11:38 PM »
The flavour did grow on me Jerry, and of course was better the next day but i just dont like cardamom very much.
It definitely makes a nice contrast to say a bassar curry when served together though. And i'll still be using up the rest of the MP thats left.
But only when cooking a variety of curries using different mixed powders.

Frank.  :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Dalpuri,

i don't like the black cardamom either. having said that i've just bought a bag.

what struck me was why i could not replicate the jalpur using the tgad2007 roasting method and selecting "guessing" the spice and mix to use. even taking in the the zaal recipe.

i've essentially given up and went the easy way of buying in from ifindforu.

i'd still like to find the why but have more interesting on the to do list.

i suspect that it's the powerfulness of the jalpur spices which you've experienced that do the magic for me but only when the right balance is struck. i plan a revisit in the future at some point.

best wishes,

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2012, 10:57 AM »
was re reading an old post on different subject (spiced oil) (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=735.msg6924#msg6924, pete post line 15) 

it's amazing how with hindsight things jump out that you missed 1st time round - referring to black cardamom.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2012, 03:13 PM »
was re reading an old post on different subject (spiced oil) (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=735.msg6924#msg6924, pete post line 15) 

it's amazing how with hindsight things jump out that you missed 1st time round - referring to black cardamom.

There has already been quite a lot of discussion about the use of whole spice or using such an infusion in the base and the difference it can make.  I think you've highlighted the fact that this particular spice has been considerably  overlooked and more focus put on cassia and asian bay leaves.   The black cardamon could well play a great part in that BIR aroma.  Very worthy of some more follow up Jerry.  I will include this when i make my next base as part of the ifusion or baghar stage of the base.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2012, 10:08 AM »
I will include this when i make my next base as part of the infusion or baghar stage of the base.

curryhell,

this is my no 1 focus - would very much appreciate any findings or thoughts.

for info just done new post on BIR oil which is effectively getting at same.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Managed to get some Jalpur GM yesterday from Sparkhill.  The use by date is September but it seems OK.  The pong is incredible!  It's unopended and I've still had to wrap the box in cling film many times   I wonder how it can be so pungent (even compared to my freshly ground efforts).  Perhaps pressure treated in some way?  Maybe it's gone off  :P

©2024 Curry Recipes