Author Topic: creamed cocount  (Read 10525 times)

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: creamed cocount
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 06:45 PM »
For a curry of this size (feeds 4-5 of us) I use 50g of creamed coconut

Offline vinders

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 06:58 PM »
Geezah, that looks a mighty fine curry!

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 07:12 PM »
If you had to use 2 Tbsp of coconut flour, how many grams of coconut block would you use instead?

A packet of creamed coconut is 200g. If you cut it in half and then cut each half into four then you have enough for eight CTM/Korma etc. with each piece weighing 25g. I would suggest this as the starting point and add more if you wish.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Have you guy's ever used, Maggi coconut milk powder for Korma's and CTM's?

This gives the perfect coconutty taste with the smoothness required for the dish. I find coconut block ok, but not as smooth as the Maggi powder. It is quite expensive as opposed to coconut block but the flavour is so much different....

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Good question. I'm not sure. On the TA webcam the chef seemed to use two thinnish slices of creamed coconut that he'd carved off with his chef spoon.
Hi vinders
Are you sure it was Coconut Cream you saw added?  (Because BIR rarely use it directly in a Curry). In my experience.

On the Coconut issue: It's all about texture.
1. Coconut cream is the finest texture.
2. Maggie Coconut Milk powder is very fine texture.
3. Coconut Flour is fine texture.
4. Desiccated coconut is a big jump to coarse texture.

I use both and also Maggie Coconut Milk powder mix, depends what I have at hand, but never
Desiccated.

My Recipe here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6024.msg59916#msg59916
My Video here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6039.msg60058#msg60058

cheers Chewy

Offline vinders

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Have you guy's ever used, Maggi coconut milk powder for Korma's and CTM's?

This gives the perfect coconutty taste with the smoothness required for the dish. I find coconut block ok, but not as smooth as the Maggi powder. It is quite expensive as opposed to coconut block but the flavour is so much different....

I've never used coconut milk powder, but this seems worth a try too. Thanks for the tip

Offline vinders

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Good question. I'm not sure. On the TA webcam the chef seemed to use two thinnish slices of creamed coconut that he'd carved off with his chef spoon.
Hi vinders
Are you sure it was Coconut Cream you saw added?  (Because BIR rarely use it directly in a Curry). In my experience.

cheers Chewy

Hi Chewy,

Many thanks for the links.

I can't be 100% sure what it was, but I think creamed coconut block is a good guess as I didn't see anything white and powdery going into the CTM or Korma.

It looks like I'll now be experimenting with both the creamed coconut and then Maggie Coconut Milk powder :)

BTW how much does Maggie Coconut Milk powder cost?

Thanks

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 09:30 PM »
Hi vinders
In the vid, it may have been there own korma paste, as a few restaurants I know make up a sweet Korma paste, just like they do a sweet Red Masala paste for CTM.

Maggie, The last box I bought 150g was around the 2quid mark and I thought it expensive, but it does go along way.

Have fun tweaking your Korma ;)
cheers Chewy

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 06:29 AM »
I now only use the 'Maggi' coconut milk powder for Korma and CTM and it's a huge improvement over dessicated and flour ..both in taste and texture . I've never tried creamed coconut so I can't comment on it's merits or otherwise . I paid 11 quid for a kg of the 'Maggi' stuff and it seems to be lasting forever.   :)

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 12:49 PM »
I use the coconut block and the milk powder.

I always mix together the packet of coconut milk powder with a packet of ground almonds in a lidded container.
Just right for recipes like butter chicken, and if a recipe calls for more coconut I use the block.

Martin

©2024 Curry Recipes