Author Topic: lazy frazy  (Read 3356 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
lazy frazy
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:05 PM »
As I just returned from the dentist, I figured I had no obvious choice other than a curry and some soft side-dish, like bombay potatoes. I had some advice from curryhell that I was dying to try, however, I bastardized his advice and I ain't even mad about it, because the end result was VERY good. My best bombay potatoes to date and with flavor to them, a BIR-like aroma and taste, could've been given to me from any takeaway and I wouldn't notice and/or complain. Very happy!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: lazy frazy
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:51 PM »
Reveal more about this bastardisation please!

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Looks great to me gagomes

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Grabbing me by the taste buds but what is it with that plate  ;)p

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 08:13 PM »
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Just as I approached the last sentences of the recipe, I closed the browser accidentally. even having been copying the data regularly, I ended up not having the whole recipe in the clipboard. I am so bloody pissed off.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:33 PM »
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Just as I approached the last sentences of the recipe, I closed the browser accidentally. even having been copying the data regularly, I ended up not having the whole recipe in the clipboard. I am so bloody pissed off.

Wait until you try CBM's bombay spuds.  Hits nail directly on head.

Rob  :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Bear in mind this recipe has been re-written twice (the first time I lost it.) so patience runs low and also that this is all a bit made out of my mind and experience. I do find the end result was fantastic and I will be trying again to be sure it can be repeated.

Ingredients
4-5 medium potatoes (waxy)
3-4 medium/small bay leaves (East End)
1tsp of panch poran
oil to cover the base of a small pot (approx 2tbsp)
3 drops of oil from taz base
half-onion thinly sliced
1 tbsp of minced garlic

Precooking Method:

Add oil to a pan, the panch phoran, asian bay leaves, onion and turn the heat on high until the sizzling starts (1min approx)
Lower to medium and add the potatoes and mix well in the oil and seeds to be sure it picks all the lovely flavors.
Let the potatoes sautee/fry for 5-7 minutes, stirring from times to times to prevent onion over burning
Add 1 cup of hot water (in my case, it was just enough to cover) and put a lid on.
Bring the heat up and once it starts boiling bring it down to a gentle boil.
I don't follow time guideliness here, I prefer to use a fork do it base on texture and/or bite, however, this took me somewhere around 20mins

When done, throw away the water and leave the potatoes in pot with the lid on until ready to throw them into the curry pan.

Sauce (this is how I approach my jalfrezi. I coined the term "lazy frazy" because I added precooked chicken along with the potatoes, instead of cooking the jalfrezi separate from the bombay.)

Ingredients:
1 portion of chicken (pre-cooked c2g meats method)
1 half-onion thinly sliced
1 half-onion coarsely sliced (optional)
1 tsp c2g mix powder
1 tsp kashmiri chili
1 tsp salt
2/4 of a fresh tomato
2 tbsp tomato sauce >> h4ppy-chris' method: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11520.msg88654.html#msg88654 with 1 tsp of tandoori massala (julian's tip)
1/3 of a yellow pepper (color shouldn't matter too much)
1tbsp of lemon juice

Method:
Add 1 ladle of taz into the pan  on high heat until the sizzle begins
Lower the heat to medium and add in 1.5 tsp of ginger paste and 1tsp of garlic paste and stir well
Add thinly sliced onion and stir for about a minute
Add tomato sauce and add c2g spice mix, chili powder and salt. Stir and as the consistency thickens add another ladle of sauce.
Stir to make sure there is no larger spice lumps and let it cook for a minute or 2 on medium-high heat
Add the 2 tbsp of lemon juice and mix well.
Add the spuds  (and chicken in my case) and mix well.
Another 1-2 minutes and add half-ladle of sauce, the coarsely chopped onion and stir for 2 minutes.
Add the 2 tomato slices and let it fry.
Add another half-ladle of sauce and let it reduce.
Garnish with coriander.

NOTES
1: The initial sauteeing/frying stage of the potatoes adds sort of a "peel-like texture" to the potato and the underneath it, the potato is soft. I felt this was really good and very much like my favorite bombay potatoes "supplier".

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:08 PM »
I will be trying again to be sure it can be repeated.

To give others a chance of matching your attempt, could you please indicate if your spoon measures are level, rounded or heaped.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:21 PM »
I'm a bit of a metrics freak myself, as I like to repeat what went well and not just "wing it". That said, I used these spoons levelled:

Only for the tomato puree and lemon juice did I use a regular shaped tbsp, for simplicity and because it was in hand.

©2024 Curry Recipes