Author Topic: What spices should be used in a curry base?  (Read 1935 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
What spices should be used in a curry base?
« on: May 31, 2008, 06:48 PM »
i intend to continue CA's initiative of curry base development but to specifically explore the spice mix which gets closest to BIR base taste in terms of spice.

the current spec is a curry powder which produces a very good result (but not BIR).

i was trying to think of some alternatives and have not found it as easy as 1st thought.

consequently would much appreciate all thoughts.

options in mind include:

1) coriander,cumin,paprika,turmeric (ie saffron)
2) rajah curry powder
3) garam masala

in comparison to my curries (made from this site) i've noticed that BIR curry sauce differs as follows:

1) more oily
2) more onion
3) more tomatoey
4) very little in the way of discernable spice (even in the oil)

for 1 to 3 - i can experiment with. but no 4 is puzzling hence the plea for help.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:40 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Best spices for BIR Base
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 06:53 PM »
Jerry - you have a sample of BIR curry base? Or are the observations of the finished curry.

Regarding the spices themselves, I think the main four are (Cori, Cumin, Turmeric, and Paprika) are good. I'd be weary of garam masala in the base.

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Best spices for BIR Base
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 10:46 AM »
No BIR base unfortunately - only a finished madras curry sauce inc oil which i compared side by side with my latest base (oil reclaim/extended cooking) and std LB madras.

i think u're right on the main 4. i'm not sure on the garam but agree it would need to be a very small amount.

what surprised me was that if u knew nothing else and tasting both the BIR sauce and oil u would say there is only onion, tomato, paprika, turmeric, chilli present.

the trouble is the taste that u would get from onion, water and tomato alone does not suggest the missing bits are solely paprika, turmeric & chilli. you feel there is something else but definitely not pungent or discernable - more like a collection small.

for this reason i'm thinking small qty garam or wholes spices (something like cardamom and bay).

i'm aiming for a back to basics approach as i know (from the bases i've tried) once this basic taste/texture is achieved the icing can be added (ie carrot etc). the onion for example in the BIR stood up like soft peaks where as mine does not - this is the 1-3 part "technique" but hopefully gives you a feel of the level of basics that i'm targeting.

©2024 Curry Recipes