Author Topic: Mr Naga ruined my curry!  (Read 28403 times)

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Mr Naga ruined my curry!
« on: October 14, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Well, that's not strictly true - I ruined my madras by putting in a whole teaspoon of Mr Naga chilli pickle.  I hadn't tried it before and was unsure on how much to add.  It completely overpowered the dish, not in a good way!

The pickle didn't add the heat I was expecting, just an off-putting smoky kind of taste that for me, detracted from the whole dish - couldn't taste anything of the other flavours and I couldn't eat much of it.

It was slightly better after sitting in the fridge overnight but has made my wary of using it again.

How are your experiences with this pickle and how much do you typically use?

Offline chillihothot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mr Naga ruined my curry!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:09 PM »
I use Mr Naga quite a bit and I do enjoy it. I think if you want a bit of chilli depth with a long finish then it works quite well. I usually use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons in my curry.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 03:12 PM »
I use a rounded teaspoon of mr naga when I cook the Manzil Jafflong recipe posted on YouTube by C2G. Works well but it is a very strong flavour so could easily unbalance a dish if not balanced against other flavours. In the Jafflong those other flavours are a level tsp of garam masala and tsp of tandoori masala (amongst other ingredients).

I'm a big fan of mr naga in curries, but added indiscriminately with nothing to balance it, you will have trouble.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 03:38 PM »
In Mr Naga available online as I haven't seen it my local Indian grocers.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 07:20 PM »
I dont like the flavour that mr naga adds to the curry.  as you say, it does not just add the heat but the different spice taste that i do not like.

Barry

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 07:41 PM »
I'm afraid I only like it on poppadoms, I too think it swamps out all the other flavours from a curry, no matter how much you use.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 08:15 PM »
I'm afraid I only like it on poppadoms, I too think it swamps out all the other flavours from a curry, no matter how much you use.

Bob - having never tried I wonder is there anything else you would substitute when recipes call for this pickle?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 09:29 PM »

Bob - having never tried I wonder is there anything else you would substitute when recipes call for this pickle?

Hi Stephen,

I sometimes make this, http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8378.0

which packs quite a punch but is not so strong in flavour, I sometimes also buy, "Ahmed Food", jar of Chilli pickle in oil. These pickles are not for the faint hearted and are up there among Mr Naga, but without that overpowering flavour.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 03:10 AM »
Hi Stephen
Lesson learnt, it doesn't belong in a Madras.

Wonderful stuff though, with its distinct "Naga" flavour and is part of my worktop essentials for numerous curries.

Just a bit common sense needed, where Mr.Naga pickle is concerned.
Laughing at myself as I type this, because I too cocked up a good Chicken Curry by adding 2 heaped tsps of freshly minced Green Naga.
Whoa, Off the bloody scale. Gutted, as the Chicken was prime meat. :o
I took a photo with the very fresh Naga as garnish, just before it went in the bin. :'(

cheers Chewy

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 09:23 AM »
Well, that's not strictly true - I ruined my madras by putting in a whole teaspoon of Mr Naga chilli pickle.  I hadn't tried it before and was unsure on how much to add.  It completely overpowered the dish, not in a good way!

The pickle didn't add the heat I was expecting, just an off-putting smoky kind of taste that for me, detracted from the whole dish - couldn't taste anything of the other flavours and I couldn't eat much of it.

It was slightly better after sitting in the fridge overnight but has made my wary of using it again.

How are your experiences with this pickle and how much do you typically use?

I'm a huge fan of Mr Naga and tend to use a good tablespoon in each dish, but as you've discovered it does have a distinctive taste and aroma (for which the naga is indeed most prized). It changes the characteristics of a curry dish completely (but wonderfully, IMHO) - you just need to be aware that whatever you add it to ceases to become a 'Chicken/Lamb Madras' or 'Chicken/Lamb Vindaloo', or 'Bhuna', or whatever, but a 'Chicken Naga'.

At least, that's what the restaurants and takeaways do round these parts, instantly elevating a standard dish from the basic menu to the chef's specials menu and hiking the price up from

©2024 Curry Recipes