Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Jaipuri  (Read 12819 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
PanPot's Ashoka Jaipuri
« on: November 10, 2009, 03:35 AM »
Posted by PanPot an moved to here by CA

Ingredients:

- Marinated Chicken (pre cooked chicken or Lamb can be used too ) (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3916.msg35418;topicseen#msg35418
- Oil (reclaimed preferred)
- Onion and Capsicum Mix (50/50 Onion with mix of red,green and yellow Pepper)
- Tandoori Paste (Pataks) 1tbs
- Coconut Cream ( carton ot tin ) to taste 1-2 teaspoons
- Garlic/Ginger Paste 1tbs (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3915.msg35417;topicseen#msg35417)
- Tomato Paste 1tbs
- Methi large Pinch
- Chopped Coriander large Pinch
- Garam Masala Large Pinch
- Onion Paste 3/4 Chefs Spoon (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3921.msg35423;topicseen#msg3542)
- Base Curry Sauce (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3199.0)

Method:

- Heat Oil
- Fry onion and capsicum mix for 2 minutes
- Add  Garlic/Ginger Paste and Tomato Paste and stir round pressing into pan and stirring with the back of the chef's spoon for 30 seconds
- Add herbs and Garam Masala stirring round and round and scraping constantly down from sides
- Add Marinaded Chicken stir round until browned
- Add 1/4 chefs spoon of Onion Paste. Keep stirring round and round for 1 minute
- Add rest of Onion Paste keep stirring for a minute
- Add a Little Curry Sauce stirring continuously as you slowly add more and more
- Add tandoori paste and stir until blended
- Add coconut cream and stir until correct consistency constantly scraping sides till chicken is cooked through
- Serve

As with Karahi Bhuna but add Coconut cream once Tandoori Paste is cooked blended in and cook through before serving.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:31 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka Jaipuri
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 05:29 PM »
this recipe is a keeper.

punches well above it's expectation. simple loved it.

it's the 1st time i've tried using pataks/pasco tandoori paste straight into a dish - worked a treat.

i used mix powder in place of the garam as that's more BIR to my taste buds. also not knowing if i'd like the recipe used coconut flour in place of the coconut milk - going forward will certainly try the milk.

i used 1 off bunjarra at spice frying and 2 off at base stage. i also pre fried the sliced onion in reclaimed oil on high heat in wok and added the methi and fried hard as per Dipuraja instruction "burn" (singe). did not have green pepper but see to add on the next make.

i tried 1 off with 1 chef carnation to make good the absence of the coconut milk/cream and also 1 off without. both different both spot on.

really taken to this dish (the methi onion, the tandoori paste).

once again many thanks to star man panpot 

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:20 PM »
made 2 off more of this dish.

added in the pepper (used mixed) - worked well in the dish and adopted going forward as per the as spec recipe.

tried the coconut milk - different and down to personal preference but i will use coconut flour going forward. well worth trying the milk but one of those that's just not for me - the milk produces a more curry tasting dish with the coconut very much less prominent.

have not been able to settle on the amount of methi. currently the "large pinch" is 1 tbsp but intend to try 1 htbsp on the next go.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Hi JerryM, this recipe is not what I know as Jaipuri. Everyone I've had has onion/green pepper & mushrooms & no coconut. It's sometimes has a slight sweet/tanginess to it, which I think is down to mango chutney either straight or contained in a paste(masaledar sauce?) rather than coconut.. But the best jaipuri's I've had have very little sweetness at all, red in colour. When I joined cr0, I asked about masaledar(a dish in itself here) to which chewytikka pretty much hit it spot on, with his jhal mix, along with a little background information to it also. So I do:

Chewytikka's jhal mix:(i would recommend everyone should keep a batch of this handy, it works great in all kinds of dishes) http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6120.10
Add mushrooms

No Banjarra
No coconut

Rest to spec; In my opinion, Jaipuri is one of the best dishes on the menu

Regards
ELW
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:23 AM by ELW »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 05:08 PM »
ELW,

i've made a few of these dishes and the photo colour does not tell well enough - they are quite red from the tandoori paste - much more red than the picture. in the coconut milk as spec version you would not know it was there.

i've gradually become a real fan of coconut flour dishes and have just put a different slant on it - if you like coconut then it works well if not stick to the milk or even leave out.

as for the bunjarra i use it in pretty much most dishes i make. some i even add it at late stage too. it's all down to what works for the particular person. just like spiced or reclaimed oil - i just would not cook a curry without.

as you say jaipuri is one of the best. i'd not come across it and it's exactly the sort of chef special dish i'm currently hunting down.

on the red masala i've tried quite a few and settled on the parker21 combined with tgad. it's like this fell walking experience - you get to what you think is the highest hill only to find there are more behind. thankfully these are much easier to work on. what i'm saying is there's quite a lot of revisiting i'd like to do to fine tune and answer various unexplained - red masala being one of them - there is much variety. why does reclaimed oil work for some and not for others. if i get anywhere i'll update the new year resolution post.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Hi JerryM

Ashoka Jaipuri is an unusual one, in fact I find most of the Ashoka recipe's a little bit different than the bulk of others.(No MP)I couldn't even put it down to regional as  Panpot's kitchen experience is from Glasgow  :).  I've had some good results swapping MP for packet GM(Natco, East End, Rajah) & agreed,the banjarra paste is well worth the hassle. I add it to all kinds of curries

ELW

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 05:55 PM »
ELW,

for sure. having never eaten at Panpot's ashoka's i automatically read mix powder for garam even the bunjarra i make with tandoori masala (as per the org recipe).

the GM put me off from KD1 book where mix powder does not exist. i'm now ok using it in pastes and base "chef garam" but can't bring myself to use it for main dish - even a sprinkle. i'm used to curry from the midlands and garam does not sit well there.

ps going to try the jalandri next - want to revisit the north Indian garlic sauce

best wishes,

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 06:00 PM »
It's certainly an unusual recipe, no mix powder, no chilli powder or fresh chillies and not even any salt!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:25 PM »
have listed recipe i'm using. no extra salt as i put it all in the base now (0.5 tsp per portion):

ml   
1   oil   60   1 chef
1   garlic puree   5   1 tsp

2   base   60   1 chef
2   tompuree   15   1 tbsp
2   mix pwdr    5   1 tsp
2   chilli pwdr   1.25   1/4 tsp
2   methi   15   1 tbsp / large pinch
2   bunjarra   15   1 tbsp

3   fried sliced onion / green pepper   60   1 chef
3   base   45   3/4 chef
3   coconut flour   45   3 tbsp

4   base   240   4 chef
4   water   100   mixed into base
4   tandoori paste   5   touch
4   green chilli paste   5   touch
4   bunjarra   30   2 tbsp
4   cream   30   1/2 chef (or use carnation)
4   fresh coriander   15   1 tbsp / large pinch

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Thanks jerry. What do the numbers, 1,2,3 etc mean?

©2024 Curry Recipes