Author Topic: THE GLASGOW CURRIES  (Read 39392 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: THE GLASGOW CURRIES
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2013, 06:13 AM »
The principle is exactly the same with the big stock pot of base sauce as it is with the frying pan, only this time the emulsion (water + oil) is only created on the surface. The water evaporates from the surface, the emulsion breaks and bingo the oil separates.

Now that sounds plausible.....  :)

It does doesn't it, until you give it a little more thought. When you've made a base and left it to cool you've undoubtedly noticed that the oil layer increases (and covers the whole surface). This happens as the pan cools, so there's no evaporation as spicey claims and yet the oil continues to collect. The same thing often happens when you put a particularly oily curry into a takeaway container, i.e. there's a bigger slick of oil after a given time than there was initially.

If, as spicey claims, the separation of the oil from the curry is due to evaporation of the water I'd want to see some evidence in the scientific literature for it.

He also continues to make the absurd claim that for the oil to separate from the curry all the water must be driven out. That's pure BS. If you want to know what a curry taken to that degree of water separation is like just open a jar of any Patak's paste because that's what you'd get.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2013, 06:25 AM »
I reckon the question is an interesting one.  I, for one, would be interested in hearing others' views and understanding it further.  I don't think anyone has expressed an "absurd claim" or an "idiotic attitude" (so far).

But it's undoubtedly more appropriate to start a new thread than to continue to derail this one.  Anyone?

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2013, 07:54 AM »
Whoa, Late night, hic. this threads been trashed
ooko, after a years hiatus from posting, your back with the same idiotic attitude.
Asking the question why, then writing reams of rubbish on why you think whoever is wrong and you know better, when in reality your not even on first base.
Coming from someone that doesn't appear to understand that scum forming on the surface of base sauce is actually coagulated lipoproteins and not impurities created by boiling and oil separation (as you wrongly claim) you'll have to forgive me for ignoring any rubbish you continue (and have always) peddled on here.

It's quite unbelievable what utter nonsense some of you people come out with. But I can understand why they become hostile when they're shown up to be ignorant.

What utter rubbish:

....because like any scum its the impurities created by the boiling process and in this case oil separation. It really is hard to believe some people think it has a value and a good taste.

It's got nothing whatsoever to do with oil separation and everything to do with:

No it isn't, impurities that is.

It's actually coagulated lipoproteins, proteins combined with lipids (fats). Proteins when combined with lipids when boiled coagulate and have a lower density than oil and water and so float to the surface. The only effect they have on stock or base gravy is to make it cloudy. Given that base gravy is opaque anyway, they really don't make any difference whether you stir them back in or skim them off.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8956.msg89255.html#msg89255

And if you don't believe me, which you won't, because you're now in reputation damage limitation mode, (just like someone else in this thread) do a google search on it and find out for yourself what the correct answer is. Just to help you, the key words you want are scum and lipoproteins.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2013, 07:58 AM »
When you've made a base and left it to cool you've undoubtedly noticed that the oil layer increases (and covers the whole surface). This happens as the pan cools, so there's no evaporation as spicey claims and yet the oil continues to collect.

If the pan is warmer than the surrounding air temperature water evaporation will still continue.

Or do I now need to explain the scientific theory of water evaporation to you?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2013, 09:06 AM »
When you've made a base and left it to cool you've undoubtedly noticed that the oil layer increases (and covers the whole surface). This happens as the pan cools, so there's no evaporation as spicey claims and yet the oil continues to collect.

If the pan is warmer than the surrounding air temperature water evaporation will still continue.

No it won't because there's an oil film covering it which prevents that occuring. You really are grasping at straws my friend. Oh, don't forget, I'm hoping that you'll provide a reference that supports this theory of yours.

P.S. for someone who claims to understand the science involved you do ask some basic questions -  don't you?  http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/28832/oil-separating-from-fried-onion-spice-mixture-why-does-it-happen  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:28 AM by Secret Santa »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2013, 09:09 AM »
Yet another thread destroyed with unnecessary bile and vitriol.  A new visitor to this forum reading any number of threads full of this constant, combative, point scoring is unlikely to ever return.  It also drives away many great contributors, fed up with being attacked for each contribution they make, in common with every other forum out there that is not strictly moderated.

Could you please re-post this on a daily basis, Dajoca, until the message finally gets through ?

Thanks to Martin for providing the vids and the recipe.

Agreed.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:39 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2013, 09:30 AM »
You're being a trifle rude and ignorant now guys. 

It's an interesting "discussion".  Why not take it to another thread and discuss it properly?

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11572.msg89640.html#msg89640
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:54 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2013, 09:49 AM »
You're being a triffle rude and ignorant now guys. 

Pot calling the kettle black! Absolute classic.  ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Yet another thread destroyed with unnecessary bile and vitriol.
A new visitor to this forum reading any number of threads full of this constant, combative, point scoring is unlikely to ever return.
It also drives away many great contributors, fed up with being attacked for each contribution they make, in common with every other forum out there that is not strictly moderated.
Thanks to Martin for providing the vids and the recipe.

Some people would know what you mean but is this thread all bad? I suggest not. It's an interesting debate, not that I claim to know the answer. I just think it's a pity that anyone decides to use 'banned' words and personal insults from time to time. Please leave them out. You know the words that are not allowed in a Court of Law or anywhere where reasonable standards are upheld.

As for 'strict moderation' do you really think that's better? I don't think so.

I agree with you that thanks are due to Martin for providing the videos and recipe.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2013, 03:42 PM »
SS
The original bb1 recipe has that much oil and less water, when cooked for a such a long time
it produces a congealed oily mass (onion sauce) for the oil to separate from this it needs water.
The waters been boiled off, leaving half a pot of gloop. (It looks like wallpaper paste)
http://youtu.be/_mT5YZ5cEhc

This is the reason why i dont like this method. All you are doing is pushing a large mass of dry paste around the pan. The only way things can fry down properly and for the oil to separate easily is by adding water!
(and yes, i have tried this dry method.)

If, like BB1 says, (or Boaby,Fred, Alex,James, all the members of wet wet wet or whoever he currently is  :P) No oil is added and nothing needs to be fried down, then this method isn't that different from a jar of cook-in sauce. All components can be cooked separately then added together for storage until heated in a frying pan.  I dont see any difference between the first ladle and 2nd, 3rd etc.

Two questions:

Why fry onion or pepper in oil first if there is enough oil in the first ladle?

and

Can you brown the G/G paste?

Cheers, Frank.  :)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:27 PM by DalPuri »

©2024 Curry Recipes