Author Topic: italian food topic  (Read 10815 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: italian food topic
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Thanks for the tip on worcestershire sauce. How much WS would you use yourself? I might run to the shop to pick up some celery. I'm only starting the dish in a couple hours.

Oh, and would you do any pre marinating of the meat or seasoning, etc?

I know it's probably too late now but I would add probably about 1-2 tablespoon depending on your taste, but remember the tamarind will give it a sour note.

Nothing on the meat just use fresh and remember that when frying it in the pan, don't put too much in or you'll end up boiling it rather than frying. I also like to get a could caramelise finish to the meat to add extra 'oomph' to the flavour. This I simply judge as the moment the sound goes from frying to crackling or popping.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 08:57 PM »
My bolognese goes into lasagne which I'd say is probably my all time favourite dish.

Ever tried Pastitsio? I think you'll really like that.  :)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 10:04 PM »
Ever tried Pastitsio? I think you'll really like that.  :)

I have :) but I prefer lasagne to be honest.

I can't stand Mousaka because it's got those dreaded aubergines in it which I can't stand, what a way to ruin a lovely dish by putting aubergines into it! There are not many ingredients I don't like but aubergines and courgettes are two of them.

Another topping for spaghetti you may not have come across is Cincinatti Chilli made with chocolate (mole) and chilli's - it's quite different.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 01:42 AM »
So, my local super market was short of celery too and in haste, I picked up an organic roast tomato&bacon sauce and settled for my own concoction. I added this paste along with some garlic paste, passata, onions, peppercorns, a knorr chicken stock cube, some cooking wine which I sourced few months ago from a local italian whole-sale supplier and olive oil. Before serving I left it under the grill for a few minutes to crisp a little. We both enjoyed and we have plenty left for the next 3-4 meals. I am still keen on checking your recipe Axe, so watch this space :)

It's not what you could call authentic Italian but there are two ingredients which I find add amazing flavour to a ragu sauce. 1. An oxo cube sprinkled in. 2. Spoonful of Asda umami paste.

Thanks Natterjack for the tip, I was already familiar with using stock cubes, although I don't have an asda nearby. The closest would be up northern ireland. I wonder if this paste exists under different brand/name? And btw, I've seen references to 'umami' in several cooking related forums, what does it mean exactly?

Nothing on the meat just use fresh and remember that when frying it in the pan, don't put too much in or you'll end up boiling it rather than frying. I also like to get a could caramelise finish to the meat to add extra 'oomph' to the flavour. This I simply judge as the moment the sound goes from frying to crackling or popping.

Regards to the meat, I did that mistake of putting it all together and it boiled, but in fairness, my grandmother made bolognese "all in" (dipuraja style), and she knocked fantastic bolognese. You would think her method would be easy to follow and get the results, but it's nowhere near the damn money.

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 08:10 AM »
Here's my slightly modified Elizabeth David beef ragu:

Ingredients:

8 oz minced beef (or a combination of beef/veal/pork)
4 oz minced chicken livers
3 oz pancetta

28 grams = 1 ounce

1 carrot finely diced
1 Onion finely chopped
1/2 celery stalk finely chopped
3 Tablespoons double concentrate tomato puree
1 wineglass white wine
2 wineglasses stock (beef or chicken)
Butter/Olive oil

Grating of nutmeg
Salt and black pepper
Star Anise

Method:

Seal and brown the pancetta in about 1/2 ounce of butter and some olive oil, add finely chopped onion, carrot and celery and fry until light brown, add mince and brown evenly. Add chopped/minced chicken livers and after 2 or 3 minutes, tomato puree and then white wine. Season with salt (be aware of how much salt the pancetta imparts) and pepper and a grating of nutmeg, add stock and 1/2 star anise, cover pan and simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour.

When done optionally add a small swirl of single cream.

Nice recipe.
This is virtually the same  as my 'house' ragu sauce  :) I tend to cook it longer, maybe 3 hours on 160c in the oven, although I take the star anise out after an hour as it can be overpowering (of course, you could use a smaller piece and leave it in but a whole one is easier to find) I've not used the chicken livers before, I'll give them a try next time.

Thanks for the tips,
Ken  ;)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 05:32 PM »

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 07:18 PM »
I use this Georgio Locatteli recipe from his book Made in Italy. I also add 3 or 4 anchovies to the oil as it warms up to give it a bit more depth. This recipe makes loads but me and the wife portion it out and freeze to use as and when we need it.

Rag

©2024 Curry Recipes