Author Topic: Sirloin Steak  (Read 9638 times)

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Sirloin Steak
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 11:16 AM »
My steak has to be cremated, I was a butcher for many years and the amount of tapeworm cysts found in raw beef is an eye opener  :o

Really, whereabouts are you, in the UK meat should be adequately inspected before human consumption. Tapeworm infestation in the UK is very rare, these figures are from NHS Direct,

Tapeworm infections in the UK
In the UK, tapeworm infections in people are very rare, although some types are found more often than others. For example, in 2005:
    * There were 71 reports of infection with the beef and pork tapeworms (taeniasis) in England and Wales. One case was reported in Scotland. It is not possible to tell from the data collected whether the people became infected in the UK or abroad.

Even meat from abroad should be safe as tapeworm is not only killed off by cooking (it dies at 56C) but also by freezing (below -5C) so it should not be a cause of any great concern.

Regards
CoR

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 01:19 PM »
Hi Jerry

I usually pour on the cooking salt and rub it in. For an 8oz steak I guess you are looking at about a tbsp of salt on each side. When you come to wash it you will notice that the steak will have changed consistency with a slightly harder outer layer and lots of fissures where the meat is starting to break up and tenderize.

Good luck with the next go. It is a technique well worth persevering with.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 06:40 PM »
I am a great fan of Fillet Steak, it's tender, moist and not much fat at all. A real lean red meat.....

I usually get the butcher to cut off 2 fillets around 2-3" thick. I then season them with a little black pepper and I smother each side with a good french mustard, then I leave them to marinade in the fridge for a couple of hours before placing them under a hot grill for around 3-4 minutes each side.

The mustard crisps up the outside and the inside which is just pink but not bloody just falls apart in your mouth......

Serve with a great salad of your choice..... maybe jacket potaotes? Onion rings?......

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 09:27 PM »
My steak has to be cremated, I was a butcher for many years and the amount of tapeworm cysts found in raw beef is an eye opener  :o

Really, whereabouts are you, in the UK meat should be adequately inspected before human consumption. Tapeworm infestation in the UK is very rare, these figures are from NHS Direct,

Tapeworm infections in the UK
In the UK, tapeworm infections in people are very rare, although some types are found more often than others. For example, in 2005:
    * There were 71 reports of infection with the beef and pork tapeworms (taeniasis) in England and Wales. One case was reported in Scotland. It is not possible to tell from the data collected whether the people became infected in the UK or abroad.

Even meat from abroad should be safe as tapeworm is not only killed off by cooking (it dies at 56C) but also by freezing (below -5C) so it should not be a cause of any great concern.

Regards
CoR

Well, I haven't been in butchery or slaughter for about 20 years now (I'm an old git btw) but as the cysts are only usually exposed when cutting into the muscle they very often go unnoticed being quite small and the meat inspector wouldn't be able to pick them up until the beast was jointed.

The guy I used to work for had an unusual selling point for hip/rump steak he would get asked if his steak was tender, he would then trim off a piece raw and eat it in front of the customer, saying 'its that tender it doesn't need cooking'  ;D  and that is the reason I always have mine cremated cos watching him turned my stomach ;)

Rob.

Offline Hargiwald

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 10:03 AM »
Now I know sirloin and rib-eye isn't the same thing, but this should work well for your sirloin too, if you like garlic. Chop up some garlic cloves and fry with the steak in a fair amount of butter. When times come to turn the meat lower the heat and add even more butter which you then start pouring over your meat while it cooks. This is a classic way of doing it in my family, and I think Ramsay does something pretty similar. Either way it gives great taste to the rib-eye and hopefully to your sirloin too. I think I'm going to have to go out and buy me a steak for tonight come to think of it.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 10:17 AM »
This is great on steaks too, just after grilling and when still piping hot, add this........... :)

Enjoy your Blue Cheese Butter

A favorite restaurant recipe used to enhance steak
Preparation time: 10 minutes. Serves 8-10.

Ingredients:
6 ounces of butter at room temperature (softened)
? pound of Blue cheese of your choice, crumbled (try a fairly strong blue cheese, maybe a Roquefort or Stilton or if you want a milder blue cheese, try gorgonzola)
? teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
? teaspoon coarse black pepper

Method:
In a bowl, cream the butter until smooth
Fold in the cheese, Worcestershire sauce and pepper (some chunks of the blue cheese should remain)
Roll in a plastic wrap or parchment paper and twist the ends to close
If not using immediately, refrigerate (3 days maximum) or freeze (2 months maximum)
If frozen, thaw and cut into 1 ? ounce pieces and place on top of hot steaks

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 10:19 AM »
The recipe didn't come out too well, I know there is a bug on the website which seems to replace numbers with question marks, so.........

The cheese should be half a pound
The Worcestershire sauce should be three quarters of a teaspoon
The black pepper should be three quarters of a teaspoon

:)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 06:52 PM »
I usually pour on the cooking salt and rub it in. For an 8oz steak I guess you are looking at about a tbsp of salt on each side. When you come to wash it you will notice that the steak will have changed consistency with a slightly harder outer layer and lots of fissures where the meat is starting to break up and tenderize.

Good luck with the next go. It is a technique well worth persevering with.

chriswg,

do u think temperature has any effect on the "salts" tenderizing ability. last week i left the steak with salt on (not as much as u suggest a sort of shake of sea salt over out the packet) but the steak got left in our bottom oven when the top oven was on - this seemed to make a difference - the steak was warmish so to speak rather than at room temp.

ps, i'm now convinced that the steak is better bashed with the rolling pin but not too much so that it retains it's thickness during cooking.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 07:07 PM »
My Perfect Steak;

Heat the pan, dry, on high, for a good 10 mins.  It usually smokes a little but wait until the smoke has gone, then the pan is ready.

Oil the steak, not the pan!

Give the steak a sprinkle (just as much as you can hold between finger and thumb) of each, WHITE pepper, Paprika, and plain flour. 

Add to the pan, 1 tsp of salted butter for each 8oz steak.

Place the steak, seasoned side down on the melted butter.

re-season the top side of the steak, whilst in the pan but give it a good coating of sea salt this time.

Place 1 knob of butter on each steak.

Once the butter has melted, quickly flip the steak over, and cook for a further 2 mins.

Take out of the pan, and leave to rest for 3 mins on a plate.

Serve, and enjoy.

Simple as that!

Ray :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 08:33 AM »
Rob290482,

i ended up buying a gas BBQ for this very reason.

pan fried just never cut it and charcoal BBQ is very much weather dependent so the gas seemed a good compromise.

the gas BBQ does cook it well better than indoors although u have to give up on smokiness.

the fresh ground black pepper is an optional for us that we do now and again (it is good though). ground sea salt is critical. u need to add it after the surface has sealed as the salt otherwise tends to draw out the juices. as adraindavidb says u need more than u think.

we find the meat also has big effect on consistency and a local butcher or market is best for purchase.

i tend to go for about 1/2 way between rare and medium rare. u need to get used to pressing the steak whilst cooking to be able to feel when it's done (there's a finger test u can use to practise - can add details if u need).

for an extra twist now and again we marinade in coke (have also tried olive oil, larger).

fried toms and thin cut chips - heaven.

ps has to be rump for me.

Hi Jerry,

I too have a gas BBQ, but, I also got one of those simple throw away charcoal BBQ's too. Whenever I cook anything and in particular my Chicken Tikka, I use the old empty tray that was the Charcoal BBQ, and stick just a around 6 lumps of Charcoal in it. Light it and let it burn down to about half white, then light the gas BBQ, stick your steak, Chicken Tikka or whatever you are cooking and then close the lid.

The smoke from the Charcoal infuses into the meat whilst it is cooking on gas.

My Chicken tikka done this way is marvelous. Nice tender, juicy chicken with that tikka/smokey flavour!!

Give it a try, you'll be impressed :)

©2024 Curry Recipes