Author Topic: Sirloin Steak  (Read 9679 times)

Offline Rob290482

• Chef
    • View Profile
Sirloin Steak
« on: July 20, 2009, 02:28 PM »
I love steak more than any other food at all, but never seem to be able to cook it the perfect way.

I started cooking it well done (basically black) as i was brought up being told that if its not dark brown right through, then its raw and uncooked. I gradually went from well done to blue. Blue, in my opinion is the nicest tasting way to cook it.

I generally just let it get to room temperature, heat the cast iron griddle very hot and do each side for about 30 seconds. done. Its normally slightly burnt on the outside with a tiny bit (1mm or less) or brown inside and the rest is red.

However, i feel that i am missing something, so wanted to know if anyone had any herbs or spices to rub into the meat prior to cooking to give it that extra taste?

Thanks

Rob

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Sirloin Steak
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 03:46 PM »
I have my steak blue as well, the only way to eat it IMO. I just season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper, then as you say 30 seconds each side.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 05:46 PM »
oil both sides with a light olive oil season with freshly ground black pepper and corse sea salt.  Use more salt than you think it needs, something that seems counter intuitive these days, but steak really needs it!

Have you tried rib-eye steak, the flavour of sirloin and often as tender as fillet, YUMMY!

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:37 PM »
Yup, de-horn it, wipe its' arse, throw it on the plate, fantastic ;D

Cheers
CoR

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Rob290482,

i ended up buying a gas BBQ for this very reason.

pan fried just never cut it and charcoal BBQ is very much weather dependent so the gas seemed a good compromise.

the gas BBQ does cook it well better than indoors although u have to give up on smokiness.

the fresh ground black pepper is an optional for us that we do now and again (it is good though). ground sea salt is critical. u need to add it after the surface has sealed as the salt otherwise tends to draw out the juices. as adraindavidb says u need more than u think.

we find the meat also has big effect on consistency and a local butcher or market is best for purchase.

i tend to go for about 1/2 way between rare and medium rare. u need to get used to pressing the steak whilst cooking to be able to feel when it's done (there's a finger test u can use to practise - can add details if u need).

for an extra twist now and again we marinade in coke (have also tried olive oil, larger).

fried toms and thin cut chips - heaven.

ps has to be rump for me.

Offline billycat

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 08:44 AM »
Hi Jerry

what does marinading in coke achieve mate,does it tenderize or alter the flavour

cheers

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 01:42 PM »
My steak has to be cremated, I was a butcher for many years and the amount of tapeworm cysts found in raw beef is an eye opener  :o

Click link below...

The beef tapeworm

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 04:51 PM »
I only eat fillet steak and I like it medium to well done. I don't enjoy the raw taste or the blood spilling onto my plate that rare or blue produce. My ideal would be charred on the outside and pink in the middle with no blood running.

A couple of great tips I have picked up over the years and swear by...

Firstly (and this goes totally against Jerrys comment) you should cover it in salt and leave on a plate for about 30 mins before cooking. This really tenderizes the meat. After the 30 mins is up wash it thoroughly to get all the salt off otherwise you will get one ruined salty steak.

Once it is well washed, dry it with paper towels and give it a good rub with black pepper. You then need to heat a griddle pan up so it is very hot and place the steak on it. Turn it once (I do mine about 3 mins on each side) than put the whole pan in a preheated oven for 10 - 15 mins at about 160. This last stage really makes the difference and the steak will simply melt in the mouth.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 08:13 AM »
billycat,

the coke idea comes from South African neighbours. it both tenderises and gives a different flavour (v.hard to describe not like coke though). they say to marinate for something like 4 to 6 hrs or even overnight.

we use it for BBQ and most people gel with it (me and the good lady are not as keen on it though for tea when we just prefer the taste of the meat, fried tomato and chips).

chriswg,

interest on the salt marinating and wash - i've never tried it but sounds well worth ago. Saturday's looking like steak night.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 08:31 AM »
chriswg,

i tried the pre salting but alas did not find any difference. there could be a few reasons though.

i used sea salt and perhaps should have used cooking salt. i'm not sure if there's a cut off to the amount needed - i thought i'd put a fair bit on though (6 off grinder turns per steak per side). i left it for 1.5 hrs c/w the 30 mins stated thinking more would be better.

the only real reason i can think of though is that there is a limit to the amount of tenderising that can be achieved for a particular cut of meat - i used rump and bashed it to flatten it out which tenderises it quite a lot in it's own right.

i found a lot of water appeared during cooking which cooled the bbq and stopped the bbq taste from forming.

i'll try cooking salt next time when i'm using steak "as is" ie not bashing it.

©2024 Curry Recipes