Author Topic: Dinner Invitations  (Read 9994 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Invitations
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 08:51 AM »
...snip
Anyway, as a result of the recent attacks, I've decided it will be far too risky to attend the barbecue organised by Chris, as much as I was genuinely looking forward to it.

Risky? why on earth would it be risky? its going to be a fun BBQ.

I don't see any one on the attendees list giving you any cause for concern.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 09:44 AM »
I think somebody needs to grow a sense of humour and lighten up a bit.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Earlier this evening I suggested opening a thread about whether to invite a vegetarian to dinner. Can't you think of anything more original for your own thread?

Sorry George,
I thought this was original, in the fact, that it has nothing to do with vegetarians. ::)

CBM

You know full well that in creating this thread you had at least two objectives:

1. To beat me to it in launching a thread about dinner invitations. You effectively stole my idea in a sneaky, underhand way.

2. To launch a very rude personal attack on me. Yes, it is aimed at me alone, whereas my comment/opinion about vegetarians applies to millions of people - a huge group, and I know that many people finding that cooking for them creates disproportionate effort, if everyone else is eating meat-based dishes. I've got nothing against vegetarians as people. I just wouldn't want to invite them to dinner. I suggest  that's different to you and a few other trouble-makers making personal attacks on me, just because you disagree with my point of view and want to stir up trouble rather than have a debate about vegetarians.

George,
Heaven forbid, I stole your idea, nothing stopping you from doing it....sneaky, underhand, grow up ::)

A very rude, personal attack...hmmm...I don't think so.

It's not about disagreeing with your point of view, George, maybe it's more about the way you go about making it.

What I will say is this....some people could benefit from the enlightenment gained from the removal of their own head from their own personal dark space.

My personal views and comments may not represent the views held by other users of the forum.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 10:31 AM »
...snip
Anyway, as a result of the recent attacks, I've decided it will be far too risky to attend the barbecue organised by Chris, as much as I was genuinely looking forward to it.

Risky? why on earth would it be risky? its going to be a fun BBQ.

I don't see any one on the attendees list giving you any cause for concern.

Indirectly, martinvic, CBM and one or two others have created a situation whereby I no longer feel comfortable going to a barbecue which I was really looking forward to, and already had quite a few arrangements in place for. It was so good of Chris to arrange it and I'm sure it will be a first class event. But given that so many people seem to want to launch a personal attack on me, I'm really not sure of the reception I'd get. That's why it's too risky.

I stated that I would find inviting a vegetarian to dinner a pain. It's just my opinion. This prompted martinvic to say I wasn't fit to be a moderator and then CBM started this thread with a very personal attack.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 10:54 AM »
George, you started all this with your generalised comments about vegetarians which some people would have found personally insulting.

Then you go on to over react and moan about personal attacks against you.

Then you announce (more than once) that you won't be going to the cr0 barbeque.

Try to lighten up a bit and understand why your original comments about vegetarians seemed a bit extreme to some of us.

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 12:26 PM »
Got nothing against vegetarians myself but what does annoy me is when you have a party of carnivores with just one vegetarian present who will refuse to eat anything other then an 'of menu' special vegetarian dish that you have to go out of way to provide. Whereas when its the other way around and you are the only carnivore they will not provide you with an 'of menu' meat dish of your own - you just have to starve or turn into a vegetarian.

Bon gosht

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 12:31 PM »
Got nothing against vegetarians myself but what does annoy me is when you have a party of carnivores with just one vegetarian present who will refuse to eat anything other then an 'of menu' special vegetarian dish that you have to go out of way to provide. Whereas when its the other way around and you are the only carnivore they will not provide you with an 'of menu' meat dish of your own - you just have to starve or turn into a vegetarian.

There is, unfortunately, some truth in that, but on the other hand, you, I, George et al have no philosophical objections to killing, preparing, cooking and eating vegetables, whereas most vegetarians that I know do have real problems with the whole concept of animal-as-food, so it is hardly surprising that they are not willing to compromise their principles and cook you a roast ox or whatever ...

** Phil.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 12:33 PM »

Bon gosht

The difference being that a meat-eater can eat a vegetarian dish, whereas a vegetarian cannot eat a meat-based dish.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Try to lighten up a bit and understand why your original comments about vegetarians seemed a bit extreme to some of us.

How would you like it if anyone launched a new thread (this one) with the sole objective of insulting you and encouraging others to do the same.

I know my original comment about vegetarians was very critical of them, in the way that Coogan now describes, but why should that prompt so many others to launch personal attacks against me, rather than argue/debate why they love cooking extra dishes for just one vegetarian in a group of 5 or 6?

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 01:10 PM »

Bon gosht

Here here coogan

I was stuck with some vegetarian nut log thingy not so long ago - AWFUL to say the least - and i do like eating veg!!! Chicken, Fish, Pork, Lamb but not beef!! and not so much lamb these days - cost too much here!

In reality cooking for ONE veggie does cause  "disproportionate effort" in most cases as George rightly pointed out - as far as all the personal comments about each other - it seems there is an underlying rift like on most forums!!!! a lot of do gooders and follow my lead sheep

Say what insults you will in return to my comments - everyone is entitled to have opinion thats what makes the world go round - by heck it would be boring if we all were programed to say and do the same as everyone else.
And yes im new to this forum - and to be honest, holds a wealth of information and talent for making curries - to which we all enjoy.

I hope to make regular contributions to the forum and the recipes without being shunned and put down - i havent yet but i feel by agreeing with some of the comments it will be only time - which would be a great shame.

Long live curry making!!

©2024 Curry Recipes