Author Topic: Dinner Invitations  (Read 9995 times)

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Invitations
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 01:14 PM »
George,
You had what I  thought would be your last word about my so called 'rude,insulting personal attack' earlier in this thread but clearly that wasn't enough for you. I was quite happy to leave it there but as you are hell bent on trying to portray yourself as some kind of victim I had to respond.
It was never my sole objective to insult you but to state what I believe your attitude and behaviour displays about you. You do come across as a cantankerous misery.

I don't believe I have encouraged anyone to do anything....

I will say this, which I think is very apt. This from a PM I received this morning...

You can throw the ball George but you can't catch it.

My last word.
I thank you.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 05:06 AM »
Back to what originally prompted this thread...catering for vegetarians....

....I believe that anyone cooking for anyone else has to be sensitive to their preferences and needs........IF they want them to enjoy their meal (a big IF, for some, perhaps?).  It seems to me that it's simply common courtesy that comes with being "a host"...and I think it applies to ANY cooking, not just curries.

Regarding curries, even within the family context, if I cook one, solely for myself, I cook a stinky hot one (e.g. a vindaloo or phal).  But my wife doesn't like them as hot as me, so I generally cook milder curries (e.g. madras, jalfrezi, etc) for her.  I then "spice" them up for myself.  Our children prefer even milder curries (e.g. CTM and Korma) so I often cook these, if they are having some.

My wife doesn't eat red meat, so I generally make chicken or prawn curries.  I prefer red meat (e.g. lamb), so I occasionally cook a stinky hot lamb curry just for me (yes, selfish, I know).

We have friends that like red meat but not lamb, so, if we're entertaining, I don't cook lamb for them.  We have Muslim friends, so I don't cook pork for them.  We have friends that prefer vegetables, so I cook vegetables for them.  We have friends that aren't too keen on coloured (or pilau, or fried) rice, so I also make plain, uncoloured rice.  We have friends that love onion bhajis, so I make those for them...etc, etc.

If we're entertaining, I try to cater for everyone's tastes by providing a variety of dishes that I know they will enjoy (at least one or two or the dishes, if not all of them).

Is this a faff?  Perhaps, but not for me.  I derive satisfaction from knowing that they have enjoyed their meal to the fullest.  And to achieve this I try to cater for their needs. 

I reckon it's probably called being a good and considerate host?

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 08:29 AM »
I could not have put it better myself, CA!  I have been forced by the wife to cook my lamb outside in the slow cooker because it makes the house smell!!!  She would certainly not be invited to any of my dinner parties ;D

Barry

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 09:19 AM »
It was never my sole objective to insult you but to state what I believe your attitude and behaviour displays about you. You do come across as a cantankerous misery.

I wasn't singling anyone out (initially) like you've done. You're well out of order. How this sits with the huge contribution you've made to the BIR cause (videos etc) I don't know.

Come on George, Let it go,
Ref your comment...It hasn't stopped me sleeping at night ;D
Do us all a favour and stop trying to bait me, move on old son.

@ CA,
A good post and one that I believe sums up the feelings of most people when it comes to catering and entertaining friends and family, be they vegetarians or of different religions.
Mick

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 10:37 AM »
@ CA,
A good post and one that I believe sums up the feelings of most people when it comes to catering and entertaining friends and family, be they vegetarians or of different religions.
Mick

Here, here.  Can we now move on please and do what this site does best  (although just occasionally the discussion gets derailed) - talk about the one thing that brought us all here in the first place -  our love of BIR food and our search to perfect our skills and knowledge.

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Fair points that I agree with 100 per cent and practise myself CA but in the same feign I believe vegetarians should make available meat dishes if the majority of quests are carnivorous - even if they have to don gloves and nose peg if necessary. It's just about good hosting - all vegetarians that I have come across just appear to think that they are excluded from this or just do not feel as if they need to go out their way like they expect us carnivorous folk to do.

Bon hosting

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Fair points that I agree with 100 per cent and practise myself CA but in the same feign I believe vegetarians should make available meat dishes if the majority of quests are carnivorous - even if they have to don gloves and nose peg if necessary. It's just about good hosting - all vegetarians that I have come across just appear to think that they are excluded from this or just do not feel as if they need to go out their way like they expect us carnivorous folk to do.

I strongly disagree.  Let us suppose that you were Korean, and ate dog as a normal part of your diet : would you really expect that if you were invited to dinner at the home of some of your British friends, they would serve dog meat to you ?  I suspect not : you would (I think) fully understand that whilst it might be considered acceptable to eat dog meat in Korea, the British attitude to dogs is very different.
    Vegetarians are, in the main, vegetarians because they disagree with the idea that animals are food; it would be, in my opinion, just as unreasonable to expect them to forget their principles and serve something that they would not eat themselves (meat) as it would be to expect the average British dog-lover to serve dog.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:26 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 04:34 PM »
It just does not cut the fat with me. I know several strict vegetarians that work all day long in kitchens making, preparing and cooking meat dishes - here they appear to be able to put their principles to one side. But suddenly when they host their own party they cannot bare to even mention the word meat yet alone cook with it for anyone else to enjoy - its just selfish in my opinion.

Bon gosht

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 04:41 PM »
It just does not cut the fat with me. I know several strict vegetarians that work all day long in kitchens making, preparing and cooking meat dishes - here they appear to be able to put their principles to one side. But suddenly when they host their own party they cannot bare to even mention the word meat yet alone cook with it for anyone else to enjoy - its just selfish in my opinion.

OK, in the interests of harmony and conflict avoidance, let's agree to differ. I don't personally regard it as selfish at all -- just being consistent with their beliefs -- but if you think of it as being selfish, I accept that as your opinion.

Incidentally, I do find it odd that a vegetarian who is such because he/she does not agree with eating animals can work in a kitchen "making, preparing and cooking meat dishes" : although not strictly analogous, I knew a strict Muslim who was so offended by the thought of pork that if he knew that it was on display in a supermarket or a butcher's shop, he felt it necessary to circle around the display so as not to get anywhere near it.

** Phil.

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 05:41 PM »
My reference to vegetarians was really aimed at the 'cool to be a veggie when its suits us brigade' rather than vegetarians with genuine religious doctrines against eating, touching or even associating themselves in anyway with meat or particular types of meat. Obviously I would agree with your reasonings in these circumstances. Conflict avoidance or not.

Bon jovi

©2024 Curry Recipes