Author Topic: What a complete and utter wimp!  (Read 10022 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
What a complete and utter wimp!
« on: March 15, 2014, 07:34 PM »
I bought a dozen beautiful, red scotch bonnet chillies from my corner shop today and knocked up a chilli sauce with them. Roasted them off until they were nice and brown alongside a few cloves of garlic. Then boiled them in distilled malt vinegar with sugar and salt for half an hour. Let it cool and blended to a smooth sauce.

Now while I was doing the boiling I mashed the peppers a few times with a fork, had a lick of the residue and thought "bloody hell that's potent!". So after the blending I cautiously tatsed a tiny amount and it was pretty good. It was definitely hot, burnt the lips a little but it felt like it had mellowed in the cooking compared to the tasting done while boiling and it had a good flavour.

But then, oh my God!

The chilli heat swept over my forehead and moved backward over my scalp followed by profuse sweating. The chilli heat rose and rose and rose in my mouth and particularly on the tongue. My lips were on fire - all of this building oh so gradually. I actually felt a litttle queasy and faint!  :o

It would appear that despite being a veteran of Phals, I've finally found my match. The humble scotch bonnet; slow acting but all the power of an atomic bomb, if atomic bombs could be rated in Scovilles!

Have I just turned excessively wimpy in my old age or does anyone else find these chillies have the same effect on them?

One thing's for sure, if you're looking for a slow build up of chilli heat in your curries this has to be the answer.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: What a complete and utter wimp!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Gee SS I have to hand it to you I wouldn't even begin to try them. Unlike yourself (and CH too) I am not one who eats Phals - a Madras is hot enough for me and a Vindaloo I can Manage only with difficulty.

Your question made me think of a documentary I saw on Tv last year, it was about "supertasters", two people experience the same food with different levels of intensity, those who do acutely are supertasters.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 07:46 PM »
I've never tried them, SS, cos I am a self-confessed wimp when it comes to really hot stuff. But I like the idea of the boiling in malt vinegar etc to make a paste/sauce.

Your description made me chuckle though, just wish you had taken some pics - not so much of the sauce but of your reaction to it :) If you could repeat the exercise with pics, it would be appreciated :P

But as Stephen says, CH would probably say 'it was a bit mild for me'.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 07:59 PM »
You may be able to gauge Santa's reaction from this clip.
** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Wow, you Philmed it mate!

Which one is SS?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 08:35 PM »
That was hysterical!  ;D

My reaction wasn't too dissimilar but unlike those dozy sods I had some yoghurt to hand which managed to reduce the pain a little. If only they knew that drinking water is the worst thing you can do ! Hehe!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:44 PM »
I've never tried them, SS, cos I am a self-confessed wimp when it comes to really hot stuff. But I like the idea of the boiling in malt vinegar etc to make a paste/sauce.

Your description made me chuckle though, just wish you had taken some pics - not so much of the sauce but of your reaction to it :) If you could repeat the exercise with pics, it would be appreciated :P

But as Stephen says, CH would probably say 'it was a bit mild for me'.

Yes, before the pain kicked in it was a pretty decent flavoured chilli sauce. You occasionally get people on here asking how to avhieve that gradual build up of chilli heat and a teaspoon of this in a curry would certainly achieve that effect.

I don't think I'll be dopey enough to taste it neat again but it'll definitely be making an appearance in a curry at some point.

Pics - no chance. Focusing through the tears would have been impossible! And if CH can eat a teaspoon of this neat and not be "challenged" by it then he has my respect. Seriously, I've tried all strengths of curries and untold store bought chilli sauces but this has me beaten like nothing before.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 08:46 PM »
The end result is possibly like the Viceroy's "naga" sauce SS which includes some panch phoran.  I made up a portion using 1kg of scotch bonnets quite some time ago and am just coming to the end of the jar now.  Keeps perfectly with all that vinegar and covered in oil  ;D  My original post:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11268.0.html

You really cannot beat it spread over a nice greasy donner  :P

And yes............it is b****y hot stuff indeed
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:00 PM by curryhell »

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 08:55 PM »
OMG!!! I have to make this. I am obsessed with trying to find some real heat in my curries. I made some new base this week and did a spicy zaal version which when made into a madras my hubby said is too hot and he cant have madras again. WIMP!!!
I have had the leftovers tonight and added half a teaspoon of chilli flakes and got some warmth :)

Because I eat jalapeno's as snacks etc my taste buds are a bit messed up so I think as soon as I can source some scotch bonnets this chilli sauce will be  on the to do list :)

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 08:56 PM »
OH......and that video had me crying with laughter. Awesome find  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes